The new FAQ video(s)

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.

What format shall the new FAQ on YouTube have?

I need a sleeping aid: Make it a single video! (Approx. 15 to 30 min.)
32%
Man, we are on YouTube! Make it a video series. (Approx. 3 to 8 min each.)
68%

Total votes: 34

charlieg

Re: The new FAQ video(s)

Post by charlieg »

Missing a 3rd option: 'both'

You should make a lightening 60s FAQ that hits the key points. Then a longer one that addresses things in more detail.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Yeah, that would be great. But I don't think my free time is sufficient to produce additional content. However, I'll apply time stamps to the videos as well as a question index. A short FAQ is also not the best option if you want to fight misconceptions regarding our project.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Atahualpa wrote:A short FAQ is also not the best option if you want to fight misconceptions regarding our project.
+1 on this. You can't limit the info too much and still be able to get people to fully understand the project.
Lamoot

Post by Lamoot »

No worries Atahualpa, there is no rush. Once the FAQ videos are done, they'll be there for a long time so it's worth the wait for your valuable contribution.
ezze

Post by ezze »

I read the questions in the .pdf file and I am a bit confused. I see nowhere that is implied that a video (or a picture for that matter) would complete the question. What's the point of the video?
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

I already stated my point of view in an earlier post.
Atahualpa wrote:*The following text is about the optimal FAQ (in my opinion)*

We have two main FAQ sections: one at our homepage and one at our YouTube channel. The former aims for completeness, is easy to update, and also covers common troubles with installing the game or typical buggy behaviour in certain situations.
The second FAQ is an easy-to-understand version of the first one, skipping some of the technical babble and appropriately illustrating the narrative. It focuses on users who just learned about or aren't involved with OpenMW and may have small questions about our engine. It is much easier for them to watch a video and leave a comment when their question isn't covered in the video than to find out about our forums, register there, open a new thread and be affronted by forum members who got tired of answering the same question over and over again. We can also take questions from the YouTube comments to our written FAQ.
Trust me, I get the same questions over and over again on our YouTube channel. Maybe we can clear things up with an up-to-date FAQ video.

I hope that makes sense in any way.

Oh, and of course the answers collected in this thread will somehow go to our written FAQ.
Basically, I think it is beneficial to have both a written and comprehensive FAQ as well as a, eh, spoken and illustrative FAQ. Not to mention the increased publicity we will get.
Does that make any sense to you, ezze?