1.0 roundtable

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Atahualpa

Re: 1.0 roundtable

Post by Atahualpa »

Well, I know what you mean -- but I didn't know what raevol meant. While I'm not a developer, I could contribute to the OpenMW-CS user manual though. Later this year. Hopefully. :|

@raevol: Who do you want to recruit for the documentation task? I don't think external people want to start their affiliation with OpenMW writing documentation. Maybe some inactive developers or long-time lurkers are willing to help?
(Make a request in our forums?)
raevol

Post by raevol »

psi29a wrote:So people wishing to write "documentation" regardless of type, can do so by forking openmw on github and writing it, then submitting it for inclusion which triggers our peer review from the developers and those interested in documentation. Once merged, RTD renders the latest from master. :)

All documentation is in the ReST format, and thanks to sphinx/RTD we can have the output rendered as anything we want: html, LaTex, pdf...
Kk so step 1 done! Do we have this written up somewhere though? Would be good to be able to direct people interested in doing documentation to one place as a guide for process and standards.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Atahualpa wrote:@raevol: Who do you want to recruit for the documentation task? I don't think external people want to start their affiliation with OpenMW writing documentation. Maybe some inactive developers or long-time lurkers are willing to help?
(Make a request in our forums?)
Both would be good, but it's really whoever will put in the work. DavidD was new as far as I know, and started right with documentaiton. If my personal life will settle down I plan to do some too. If people already familiar with a code get a head start on it, we'll be that much farther ahead though.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

psi29a wrote:No, we mean both. Documentation is a broad term that covers everything from user manuals, to tutorials to source documentation.
Oh great! I was actually about to offer to help with documentation until I realized you probably meant source documentation, which I don't think I'd be much help in. But if this includes user manuals and tutorials then I'd love to chip in what I can. If this is a legit thing you're going to advertise needing help in, I recommend putting that up on the wiki under How To Contribute.
raevol wrote:Do we have this written up somewhere though? Would be good to be able to direct people interested in doing documentation to one place as a guide for process and standards.
This would be very helpful. I read through the documentation thread with DavidD, but if there's any additional outline or direction that you all have, that would probably expedite the process. This sphinx thing seems pretty cool, and I'm relieved I won't have to deal with the ungainly-ness of Latex or html. Would it perhaps be more prudent to use the wiki for user oriented documents though? Personally, if I'm trying to fix something or learn something, that's my first place to go. I'm thinking of about a million more questions, but I'll move them to the Documentation thread to keep from mucking this one up.
sonicboom12345

Post by sonicboom12345 »

Hi. First time poster, not a contributor. Let me say up front how grateful I am to all of you for the work you've put in on this project and for keeping Morrowind alive.

Just want to chip in my two cents. I haven't downloaded OpenMW yet. The reason for that is because there hasn't been a 1.0 release. Experience has taught me that until a game is out of beta, don't bother committing to it, because there's every possibility the next iteration will screw up your save, and all the time you've invested will end up being wasted. That may or may not be true for OpenMW, and I know you guys make the case with every new release vid that "OpenMW probably has fewer bugs now than the original Morrowind did," but the simple fact is I'm naturally reluctant to invest days and weeks of my life replaying a 400+ hour game like Morrowind if the engine is still in beta. I'm sure there are a lot of other people out there who feel similar.

My advice to you is to continue squashing the bugs for as long as you feel is necessary to release a polished product. Strive to include all of the features that the community has come to expect from things like MGE, e.g. distant land, distant statics. And once you've done all that, release 1.0 as soon as possible. Don't put it off forever, because if you, enthusiasm is going to fizzle, and there are a whole bunch of people like me who'll never experience your work. Also, DON'T underestimate the PR opportunity that attends a 1.0 release. I really hope you guys are in contact with the tech/gaming press regarding this project, if 1.0 generates a lot of buzz it can potentially bring a lot of new blood to the project and to Morrowind as a whole. If OpenMW 1.0 releases and it doesn't make Wired, Kotaku, GiantBomb, or Totalbiscuit, it'll be a missed opportunity.
raevol

Post by raevol »

I swear I didn't pay this guy off...!

Thanks for the post sonicboom! I hope 1.0 is everything you could want and more!
sonicboom12345

Post by sonicboom12345 »

Thanks. I really am looking forward to it. Been following this project for a couple years now and I'm happy to see it start to close in on the finish line for 1.0.

Feature creep can be a bad thing, but I also recognize the importance of putting out a product with maximum appeal, both to former players and to potential newcomers to the MW scene. It's been rough watching the MW community dwindle these past few years, especially the modding community. OpenMW is probably the best hope of changing that, and to that end, a well-executed and well-publicized 1.0 release is all-important. (It's a shame that asset replacement project got scrapped, it would've been a great pair to all the other amazing work you guys are doing.)

IMO if you're going to include any *one* feature in a 1.0 release that wasn't in vanilla Morrowind, let it be an optional toggle-off for dice roll combat. I've found that's the biggest impediment to new players picking up the game. Otherwise yeah, make haste toward 1.0. Thanks again for all your amazing work, hats off and /salute. Oh, and definitely contact Lazy Game Reviews, I'm positive he'll cover OpenMW 1.0 if you ask him to.
lysol

Post by lysol »

sonicboom12345 wrote: IMO if you're going to include any *one* feature in a 1.0 release that wasn't in vanilla Morrowind, let it be an optional toggle-off for dice roll combat.
I understand your thoughts, but frankly, this could delay the release of 1.0 with years. The dice roll combat is a core mechanic in Morrowind, and scrapping that system requires implementation of another system. This also means redefining the functions of all the weapon skills.

Personally, I think we should stick to Zini's goal for 1.0, namely that 1.0 = Morrowind without bugs, no more, no less. This goal probably the main reason OpenMW ever got this far. Now of course, there are already quite a few new features for OpenMW, but having a very basic goal like this gives the project focus and makes programmers develop relevant stuff instead of just flashy stuff that is fun to implement but not important to get the project done.

When 1.0 is out, the devs can do whatever the heck they want, since the game is playable already. That's the time when a total overhaul of the combat should be done IMO.
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

No, no, I like dice rolls, Morrowind and KOTOR best combat. :mrgreen:
lysol

Post by lysol »

MiroslavXO wrote:No, no, I like dice rolls, Morrowind and KOTOR best combat. :mrgreen:
Well the beauty of an open source project is that we can have BOTH if someone implements it.