Stackoverflow free ads for FOSS projects

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
wheybags

Stackoverflow free ads for FOSS projects

Post by wheybags »

http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions ... ng-2h-2016

Could be a good idea? Who does our graphic design these days?
GeorgeTheWarp

Re: Stackoverflow free ads for FOSS projects

Post by GeorgeTheWarp »

I think it's a good idea. We should go full 90s and use gifs as ads. We'd take a flashing multicolor background with black and white flashing OpenMW on the top, compensating for our lack of graphic design. Adding to that 90s genepool of horror, we'd also add an MP3 that would play Darude Sandstorm, but with each notes replaced by OpenMW said by Bonzibuddy. And the topping would be a ton of disclaimers written in a 4x4 font at the right end side, claiming irresponsability for anything that can happen to you because of our shitty ad. If you want, I can make it. :lol:

Here's some help as to make this ad great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t455k17_QAI
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

wheybags wrote:http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions ... ng-2h-2016

Could be a good idea? Who does our graphic design these days?
Did we have a dedicated graphic designer in the past? I mean, apart from people like Shnatsel who contributed the OpenMW-CS icons. -- Although I once read through a reddit thread where Shnatsel posted some artwork to advertise (?) our project...
Shnatsel

Post by Shnatsel »

A wild Shnatsel appeared!

I'm surprised I'm remembered. What I did on Reddit was drawing a free sketch for every bug found in OpenMW to get people to try it and figure out how to report bugs. Here's the thread. That won't work for a StackOverflow ad though.

I'm also totally dry on ideas right now, but I guess I can handle the implementation (possibly using third-party assets, with permission), so here's what we can do: brainstorm me some ideas for the ad and if you find a good one, let me know and I'll handle the actual drawing/design/whatever. I used to be pretty good at this stuff.
GeorgeTheWarp

Post by GeorgeTheWarp »

Shnatsel wrote:A wild Shnatsel appeared!

I'm surprised I'm remembered. What I did on Reddit was drawing a free sketch for every bug found in OpenMW to get people to try it and figure out how to report bugs. Here's the thread. That won't work for a StackOverflow ad though.

I'm also totally dry on ideas right now, but I guess I can handle the implementation (possibly using third-party assets, with permission), so here's what we can do: brainstorm me some ideas for the ad and if you find a good one, let me know and I'll handle the actual drawing/design/whatever. I used to be pretty good at this stuff.
Please use my ad idea. It'd be great to have the most clickbaity and noisy ad on that otherwise not annoying site.

In serious terms thought, I'm guessing making an ad with a pamphlet on which it is written "Make Vvardenfell Great Again!". On the pamphlet, under the title, they'd be a brown box with fake text (coming back on that later). The ad would be on a Daggerfall-styled table, with a bunch of loot and amongst the loot, a wooden keyboard.

So hovering the mouse over the ad would make it soom straight into the pamphlet, describing OpenMW and its goals, as well as saying it is open source and is hackable by anyone, anywhere, so long as they got the knowledge to do so.

Maybe not original, but that'd be a cool ad.
raevol

Post by raevol »

You have to have a picture of Dagoth Ur if you use that tagline. :D
Shnatsel

Post by Shnatsel »

Unfortunately we can't have any interactivity - the ad has to be a static PNG, 300x250 pixels in size.
DocClox

Post by DocClox »

What are you advertising for?

I mean what do you hope to get from an advert that you don't already have?