OpenMW 0.40.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

OpenMW 0.40.0

Post by Zini »

Well, we reached the 40 after all. Feeling old now.

Again, not much to say about OpenMW. We keep on polishing, fixing and plugging the last remaining holes.

For OpenMW-CS the situation is different. In recent months our editor has nicely caught up to OpenMW and we should set our sight more firmly on the 1.0 version now.

Here is a list of all the missing major functions. This does not include bugs and it also does not include little bits of functionality that are missing here and there.

- Water rendering
- Pathgrid rendering
- Pathgrid editing
- Instance editing: Rotation, Scaling, Grid, Drag Selection
- Terrain editing
- Column Filters
- Configurable Keybindings (and missing shortcut keys)
- A more advanced merge tool (suitable for TR)
- Palette subviews
- LTEX record table
- LAND record table

To the best of my knowledge this is the complete list. I don't expect anything to be added to it anymore.

Aesylwinn is already working on the pathgrid rendering and I will have a go at the palette feature.

Of the remaining tasks the terrain editing is the most complex one and I haven't fully worked out the details of the feature yet. We probably will tackle this feature last.

Every other task is still up for grabs. So get it while it is hot.

The slightly slower release cycle we have adopted recently seems to work well enough, so we probably talking about 2 month again until the next release.
MithrilLeaf

Re: OpenMW 0.40.0

Post by MithrilLeaf »

Here's hoping that we never reach version 0.41.0!
Greywander

Post by Greywander »

I that that might be a little optimistic. Yes, the engine is mostly feature complete and definitely playable, but I think the team wants to release 1.0 of both the engine and the CS at the same time. I don't think it's a bad idea for the next few versions leading up to 1.0 to consist of mainly polish (shadows, distant lands) and bug fixes while the CS catches up. This will help to make sure that OpenMW is stable and bug free on the release of 1.0.

Who knows, if the team working on the engine runs out of things to do, they might start adding features that were originally intended to be post 1.0 features. We've already gotten some graphical upgrades beyond vanilla Morrowind.

But yes, I am hyped for the 1.0 release. There's a real possibility it'll hit this year. Just to pull a number out of my hat, I'd guess we might have 3 or 4 more releases before 1.0. We're getting really close...
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Greywander wrote:I think the team wants to release 1.0 of both the engine and the CS at the same time.
Zini noted that if main OpenMW reaches the "complete" (full morrowind.exe replacement) state, then there most probably would be OpenMW 1.0 and e.g. OpenMW-CS 0.4*.0.

Only two years ago there was no Lockpicking nor Enchanting, and NPC didn't even blinked or opened their mouths. Heh.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Zini noted that if main OpenMW reaches the "complete" (full morrowind.exe replacement) state, then there most probably would be OpenMW 1.0 and e.g. OpenMW-CS 0.4*.0.
Only if OpenMW-CS is still far from completion at this point. I would be perfectly fine with delaying OpenMW 1.0 for a month or two, if OpenMW-CS can finish catching up in this timespan. The additional polish wouldn't hurt anyway.
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

Two new stuff I found today.

1.) When playing with Khajiit and running with idle fists pose and jumping the hands will snap in 1 frame every time when player jumps.

2.) When holding a torch/candle it looks like it is "off-screen".
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

OSG-3.4 has made it into debian experimental! :D
https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/opens ... sg1-1.html

We can make a 0.39 release in experimental now...
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Greywander wrote:Who knows, if the team working on the engine runs out of things to do, they might start adding features that were originally intended to be post 1.0 features. We've already gotten some graphical upgrades beyond vanilla Morrowind.
There's a danger in exactly this. The moment you release OpenMW as a 1.0 version people will be going nuts and demanding "post-1.0" upgrades. If those don't come soon because there's a lot of other stuff to do there's going to be buckets of chagrin. I think the 1.0 release is something that should be planned to be around some new, often-requested features as well. People would be like: "Woah, they released 1.0 just a couple of weeks ago, now they already have..." - just throwing something out there - "...ragdoll physics!"

Hype is logarithmic like that.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

/me wonders when the MP code will land...
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

@Zini: What is our current status? Due to RL tasks (aka university) I'll not be able to work on release videos until the end of July. Additionally, I'll be on vacation for two weeks from mid-August on - which leaves us with a relatively small time frame if we want to release v0.40 before September.