OpenMW 0.40.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Atahualpa

Re: OpenMW 0.40.0

Post by Atahualpa »

Allofich wrote:Maybe "doors that lead into other areas"? Or, "doors that lead into and out of buildings?" The second one doesn't cover all situations but may have a little better sentence flow.
DestinedToDie wrote:Previously it was possible to use telekinesis to activate a far-away door and transition to another cell. This is in contrast with how the vanilla Morrowind engine works, where you have to be close enough regardless of telekinesis. In OpenMW verison 0.41 the behavior of telekinesis no longer affects doors that lead to cell transitions.
Just finished the first round of voice recording. I'll keep your suggestions in mind for the second (and hopefully final) round after the WIP video has been uploaded.

Another thing:
"heavily underrating the usefulness of ranged or thrown weapons on greater distances"
or
"at greater distances"?
Allofich

Post by Allofich »

That would be "at."
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Damn, I knew it! :D

Anyway, here's the script for the editor video.
@aesylwinn: Now, what program's key configuration do we imitate in OpenMW-CS? blender's? And is this limited to the Scene view? I couldn't deduce that from the corresponding thread.
OpenMW-CS_0-40-0_Script.txt
(3.27 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

I don't believe we imitate any other program. I tried imitating blender's scene controls, but that didn't work out with the Shift+WASD movement keys that I was unwilling to give up. I stuck mostly with what was already the chosen defaults.

The feature allows you to customize any key binding that you can find in Edit->Preferences->Key Bindings. This includes "global" shortcuts (save, open, etc.), local shortcuts, and scene controls. As far as I know, every key binding is configurable, though it is possible that some were missed.

Edit: Just a warning, the editor currently doesn't warn you if you have conflicting shortcuts.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

aesylwinn wrote:I don't believe we imitate any other program. I tried imitating blender's scene controls, but that didn't work out with the Shift+WASD movement keys that I was unwilling to give up. I stuck mostly with what was already the chosen defaults.
I generally agree with this, if for no other reason than the fact that it's not guaranteed that a program keeps its interface steady across versions and there's no sane way to handle that happening.

On the other hand, Blender is a massive program, it's FOSS like OpenMW, and it's what a majority of content creators will presumably wind up using for OpenMW content creation, given that it is popular, free, and fully featured. Allowing a content creator to learn one set of interfaces (especially given the versatility and quality of Blender's UI) is a major plus for a project like OpenMW if it ever wants to move away from just being a way to play Morrowind.
darkbasic

Post by darkbasic »

I suggest you to add English subtitles to the Youtube video: they allow for easier translations as well as making it easier to understand to non-native speakers.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

darkbasic wrote:I suggest you to add English subtitles to the Youtube video: they allow for easier translations as well as making it easier to understand to non-native speakers.
Ehm, I provide English and German subtitles for all of my OpenMW videos (i.e. since v0.36.0). Or did I get you wrong?
commodore256

Post by commodore256 »

Atahualpa wrote: Ehm, I provide English and German subtitles for all of my OpenMW videos (i.e. since v0.36.0). Or did I get you wrong?
What's really the point? Most Germans speak English and you could easily mistake them for British or American when they speak and Americans that go to Germany are usually corrected on their english grammar.

Edit: Well, I suppose there's SEO. :D Captioning adds SEO work.
raevol

Post by raevol »

I, for one, would like to thank Atahualpa for providing English and German subtitles for the videos. Not really sure what the issue is here.
lysol

Post by lysol »

raevol wrote:I, for one, would like to thank Atahualpa for providing English and German subtitles for the videos. Not really sure what the issue is here.
+1