OpenMW Outreach

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Atahualpa

Re: OpenMW Outreach

Post by Atahualpa » 19 Aug 2017, 18:28

Thank you for proof-reading, damiel! :)
I'll correct the first issue as soon as possible. The second one isn't really an issue to me because "instantan" is the correct technical term; translations like "sofortig", "unverzüglich" or "augenblicklich" are to vague, if you ask me.

Lenny

Post by Lenny » 20 Aug 2017, 16:25

As a german mother tounge with a love for precise latin words like "instantan" as well I can say that it is very bad practice, or plain wrong to use such terms in anything but a highly sophisticated scientific paper.
Most people will be confused and not know what it means if they didn't take latin in school, are fluid in english or are like a physics uni student. My guess is that these posts are supposed to appeal to as many people as possible and not just academics :lol:

Most Germans just use German terms instead of the latin based ones - to give an anecdote I once used the word "valide" (direct german translation for valid) in a German exam and it was marked as being wrong because it was scientific language (note that I even went to a school that was very focused on latin)

WeirdSexy
Github profile: https://github.com/mckibbenta

Post by WeirdSexy » 26 Aug 2017, 01:34

Does anyone want to take ownership of the steam group?

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/openmw

Unfortunately, it seems I completely stopped contributing to this project after I graduated from school ...

Just reply to this thread or PM me if there are any takers.

EDIT: You know what, I'll take another shot at keeping the group up to date. I've got enough time for that, it just fell off my radar.

So, a few things:
  1. At least one other active outreach person should be made a group "officer" to protect against the event that I am killed by Fargoth's angry spirit. This could also be a shared "OpenMW" steam account created just for this purpose. Makes no difference to me, so you guys let me know what works best.
  2. What are the standard outreach practices at this time? In other words, what should "activity" look like for the group? Mirror every blog post? A short summary of each blog post with a link to the full post on openmw.org?
  3. Lastly, what should be done to address all the missed updates (back to v0.35.0, I believe) on the group, if anything? I'm inclined to wait for the next release and put something like the following at the bottom of the release announcement:
    P.S. Apologies for the inactivity. As you can see from today's update, the project is alive and well. But, here's what you may have missed in the meantime: *list links to previous release blog posts*
P.S. @Atahualpa, I just watched your 0.42.0 video. You are so much better than I was for this role :) Heh, it was funny to hear a bit of my own voice from the early days in that one. Keep up the good work!