Discussion - OpenMW video updates

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.

Do you want version number overlays in every scene of the release videos?

No, just use them for footage from older versions (status quo).
46%
Yes, make the videos idiot-proof! ;-)
54%

Total votes: 26

greetasdf

Re: Discussion - OpenMW video updates

Post by greetasdf »

Atahualpa wrote:So, let's discuss the 0.40 (WIP) videos!
Atahualpa wrote:The first version of the OpenMW-CS video has been released.
-----------------------------------------------
>>> https://youtu.be/jyhV9U-BTu0 <<<
-----------------------------------------------

I'd suggest to redirect all further discussion to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3462

I'd be pleased to hear your opinion, especially on the following:
1. Is my unedited voice in any way tolerable?
2. Is the background music played at the right volume?
3. How's the video's quality (stuttering, skipped frames, etc.)?
Known issues:
- [3:16] we don't use blender's standard configuration (Is the word "similar" okay though?)
- neither English nor German subtitles available at the moment
- the voice track will be redone for the final version (Although I'd like to keep my voice unedited -- only some noise reduction would be nice.)

You guys are amazing, thanks for the great, great work and passion in this project. I don't really get the vote, so I guess I'm for the easier way ;-)
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

@greetasdf: A wise decision. ;)

Regarding the OpenMW (engine) video:
- [0:55] I don't see any noticeable differences between the old shader behaviour and the new one.
- There are neither English nor German subtitles available at the moment.
- The voice track will be redone for the final version. (Like I said before: I'd prefer to leave the voice track unedited -- apart from some subtle noise reduction and manual volume-balancing for the sake of consistent voice volume.)
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Hm... about parallax.
Its effect definitely should look different on this texture in lysol's pack, I swear.

edited: I tested that old variant for bugreport.
1. heightmap is crap
2. In OpenMW 0.39.0 it looks more flat. :roll:

edit2: kinda shitty comparison: 0.39 and 0.40

So there is difference. Although it's not so evident with heightmap I use on screenshots.
Last edited by Capostrophic on 08 Aug 2016, 03:53, edited 1 time in total.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Hm, I recently took some screenshots to investigate the issue and I came to the conclusion that the 0.39-version
(a) appears a bit more blurred (i.e. not so sharp / seems to have a lesser resolution);
(b) is somehow distorted;
(c) appears a tiny bit flatter.

Anyway, the video footage isn't useful at all to show these differences. I begin to ask myself whether we should skip the issue. -- Maybe a newer version of this texture would solve our problems? lysol should be back at home tomorrow (i.e. today)...
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Perhaps you are missing the new and corrected shader plugins in your OpenMW installation. https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3440

Someone uploaded a release candidate without the new shader plugins and you downloaded it? We´ve had missing plugins before so it´s not impossible that you are currently running the game with some outdated ones.
greetasdf

Post by greetasdf »

If you are going to re-speak the audio - say 0.40: four-zero instead of 'fourty'. My basic math skills tell me this is a no-go and therefore it hurts my ears - but maybe in version counting this is different (ignore in that case)

nooo... telekinesis bug would have been so much fun xD
Chris

Post by Chris »

greetasdf wrote:say 0.40: four-zero instead of 'fourty'.
"Fourty" is correct since it's one number. Same as it's "thirty-nine" instead of "three-nine".
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

DestinedToDie wrote:Perhaps you are missing the new and corrected shader plugins in your OpenMW installation. https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3440

Someone uploaded a release candidate without the new shader plugins and you downloaded it? We´ve had missing plugins before so it´s not impossible that you are currently running the game with some outdated ones.
Well, I use Ace's RC builds for Windows (64 bit).
I'm going to test the files scrawl attached to the bug report to see if there are any differences.

Update: Yep, now I can see the difference. In v0.39.0, they look reaaaally flat compared to v0.40.0. Thanks, DestinedToDie. (Nevertheless, I'll ask lysol for more recent versions.)

I'll sent Ace a message regarding the outdated shader files.

Update 2: I just compared the used shader files in v0.40.0 (Ace's built-in and scrawl's) and it turns out that they, despite being different files, produce the same results in-game. I took some new reference screenshots with the same character in v0.39.0 und v0.40. Still not sure how it works out in a video.
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

The videos look and sound nice. I think your voice is fine unedited.
Atahualpa wrote:- [3:16] we don't use blender's standard configuration (Is the word "similar" okay though?)
I'm not quite sure what you're asking in the parenthesis. Personally, I would just drop the blender reference to avoid confusion. The scene controls are pretty different. Based on what Lamoot said, some of the table editing shortcuts are similar to some of the blender controls (like Shift+A to add), so maybe its fine to say that. If you want something else to say about it, you can say it also supports mouse buttons 4 and 5.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Atahualpa wrote: Update: Yep, now I can see the difference. In v0.39.0, they look reaaaally flat compared to v0.40.0. Thanks, DestinedToDie. (Nevertheless, I'll ask lysol for more recent versions.)

I'll sent Ace a message regarding the outdated shader files.

Update 2: I just compared the used shader files in v0.40.0 (Ace's built-in and scrawl's) and it turns out that they, despite being different files, produce the same results in-game. I took some new reference screenshots with the same character in v0.39.0 und v0.40. Still not sure how it works out in a video.
I'm a bit confused now. Did you solve the issue or not? Anyway, to really make the issue from 0.39.0 pop out more, disable clipping, then look straight at the wall and move up and down, and left and right. The thing is that the effect is kind of mixed, so that when you move up and down, it kind of moves left and right and vice versa.

To really make the correct effect pop out in 0.40.0, I'd recommend showing some extreme angles, like going from a bottom right corner to a top right or even top left corner, while always looking at the center of the wall. Stand kind of close to the wall too. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Btw, where did you get the files? I haven't done anything to the stone wall recently so I'd be surprised if you had an old version, but I'll upload it again today. Just need to wait until my wife is done with that computer... :)