[WIP] The Forgotten Release Commentaries

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
raevol

Re: [WIP] The Forgotten Release Commentaries

Post by raevol »

Okulo, I don't mind if you write a post for this one? And if you don't want to, I can definitely write one, but maybe Atahualpa can give me a gist of an outline to get started with? Lemme know, whatever works, I am here for you!
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

@raevol, @Okulo: As I said earlier, a small announcement would be sufficient. Just to make the video visible to everyone visiting our homepage. I'll quote myself on this:
Edit: I did a quick draft of the news post.

Code: Select all

------------------------------
    The Forgotten Release Commentaries
    Hello,

in case you didn't notice: The OpenMW release commentary videos are back! Well, minus WeirdSexy, and plus increased length.

For now, we will start with retrospective release commentaries for the poorly treated versions 0.36.0 up to 0.38.0. With the release of version 0.39.0 we should hopefully be ready to switch back to announcement-synchronised commentary videos.

Check out the recent video for OpenMW version 0.36.0!
    <link to the video>
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

I'll start working on a newspost tonight. I'll also add a bit of Scrawl's shader work in there. That should be fun to see. :)
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Atahualpa,

I watched the video. Very nice, I liked it!

I definitely support the idea of separate videos for the engine and editor.
Atahualpa wrote: ... release commentaries for the poorly treated versions 0.36.0 up to 0.38.0 ...
I know, I know! I'm sorry! :oops:
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Hello,

it's time for another release video update. I've just uploaded the OpenMW part of the commentary for v0.37.0.
The OpenMW-CS part is in the works.

-------------------------------------------------
>>> https://youtu.be/w93Iq5m2oPM <<<

Please let me know what you think (I'll keep my thoughts to myself, let's see if your impressions are the same ;) ).

I also attached the English transcript - subtitles are useless before the actual text has been proofread.
OpenMW_0-37-0_Script_English.txt
English transcript for the release commentary on OpenMW v0.37.0
(11.4 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
MetaCthulhu

Post by MetaCthulhu »

Well I like it. If it's still possible to adjust the music volume levels, I would recommend turning down the music because it occasionally drowns out your voice. Other than that I'd say it's perfect :) .
lysol

Post by lysol »

Really well done I must say. So nice to have release videos again. Thank you for your hard work Atahualpa.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

A few suggestions from a quick proofread of the text:

Code: Select all

Line 2: releaseof -> release of
Line 2: "It does not only bring ..." suggest "It not only brings ..."
Line 3: whooping -> whopping
Line 14: "Our project is often mistaken to be ..." suggest "Our project is often mistakenly thought to be ..."
Line 102-3: "were desperately penetrating the sole air surrounding them" - don't understand this
Line 120-121: "... on your side ..." suggest "... at your side ..."
Line 158: lossless -> losslessly
Line 159: "on" -> "at" (very high resolutions ... )
Line 169: "supernal" Don't understand - superlative perhaps?
Unfortunately most of these will involve dialogue changes and need recording again - they probably aren't worth the trouble.

Also, about 9.04 in the video is a "fixed in v0.39.0" text display for one of the alchemy bugs, which should probably be v0.37.0.

Otherwise excellent.

Loriel
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

@Loriel: Thanks for your help. I will correct these errors after having a good night's rest. I don't know yet if I want to record some of the paragraphs again - maybe my voice is in better shape tomorrow.
Btw: The ingredient count bug really gets fixed with version 0.39.0.

@MetaCthulhu: Yep, the music sometimes gets very loud. I turned it down so it didn't bother me - but then, I know what I'm going to say in the video... If I record some parts again, it is no problem to adjust the music's volume (I apply the voice/music track last, before rendering the whole video).
Last edited by Atahualpa on 05 Mar 2016, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Atahualpa wrote:Please let me know what you think (I'll keep my thoughts to myself, let's see if your impressions are the same ;) ).
Great work! I was going to complain about the length and verbosity as the view was starting, but then suddenly it was over and I enjoyed the whole thing!

Thanks for showing the Fonts stuff, I read every post on this forum and somehow I missed that because I am not as good at reading as I thought. I probably even wrote a release note for it... Going to go fix that up in my install right now...