[WIP] The Forgotten Release Commentaries

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Atahualpa

Re: [WIP] The Forgotten Release Commentaries

Post by Atahualpa »

There are three possibilities:

1. Add a line to make clear that the v0.36.0 video is the start of the series. Apart from that, keep the news post as is.
2. Replace the video but make clear that the series started with v0.36.0.
3. Add a new post in which you announce the v0.37.0 videos and say something about scrawl's cell preloading. (If you have the time to do this of course.)

In either case, the videos will be published at the end of the week - and your changes can be made sometime in the next week. There's no hurry. :)
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Oh, it's 0.37.0. I'm a fucking idiot who can write, but can't read. Never mind.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

@Okulo: Your earlier post makes sense now. :D

@all OpenMW-CS guys:
I have some questions about the editor. (Tested with both v0.37.0 as well as v0.38.0.)

1. Is it intended behaviour that undo/redo commands on text written in the script editor only effect single strokes? It makes using the shortcuts almost pointless in that situation. (Related to bug #2506; Who Knows already pointed that behaviour out.)
2. The Next Script and Previous Script buttons cause the scrolled scripts to be marked as Modified. Are you aware of that bug?
3. What is the mouse picking in the worldspace feature supposed to do? I can only select (not move) Objects in the scene view. Beyond that, I'm only able to navigate through the scene by using the mouse buttons. Anything else to demonstrate? (Related to feature #1278.)
Zini

Post by Zini »

1. Yes, that is intended. Anything beyond that would require quite a bit of extra coding and I don't really see the use. You can just hold down the undo shortcuts keys after all.
2. That sounds like a bug. I was not aware of this problem. Please file a report.
3. Mouse picking means I hold the mouse pointer at a specific spot, press a button and then OpenMW-CS figures out what is under the button and passes a message along to the respective port of the editor that would be responsible for handling a click on that thing. The actual handling is a separate task (several tasks actually).
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

1. Sounds reasonable.
2. I will file a bug report when I'm done with the first iteration of the video.
3. That's what I already suspected. I'll mention it anyway, and include that it is needed for the actual handling of user inputs.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

The first iteration of the OpenMW-CS video for v0.37.0 has been uploaded.
----------------------------------------------
>>> https://youtu.be/prkqqxjcc1o <<<
----------------------------------------------

Let's see if people like OpenMW-CS-only videos. 8-)

Some comments on the video:
1. @Zini: Please have a closer look at my statement on the mouse picking feature.
2. 7:04 - Yes, I accidentally said "Objects" instead of "Instances. I'll correct this when doing the final records.
3. 8:48 - Regarding the merge tool: I created a morrowind.omwgame file from morrowind.esm and tried to merge a .omwaddon file based on the .omwgame one. The editor showed a progress bar but no output file was created in the process. Did I make a mistake? I also tried to merge two .omwaddon files where one depended on the other - with the same result. :(
Zini

Post by Zini »

The description of the mouse picking feature is generally okay. But you probably should state also that as of 0.37.0 there are no working editing features yet that the input from mouse picking can be send to.

I just tested the merge tool and it works fine. Did you maybe forgot to save? The result of the merge is a loaded document. You need to manually save it to get a file (we may add an optional auto-save at some point).

Around 1:40 you state that a user would have to enter IDs. That is not the primary intended way of operating the editor. Normally you would enter IDs via drag and drop from the respective record table.

Around 5:59 you say "reset the modified status to base or edit". There is no status named edit. Its called modified.

Around 8:29 you say "check the accuracy of all records included". I think integrity would be a better word here.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Just wanted to say that this is great, and this feels more like it could be useful as an tutorial even if isn't the intention.

We'll need a tutorial or quick-start video at some point. ;)
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

@Zini: You mean we are currently able to select Instances (only), but there is no possibility to edit something in the Scene view?

Regarding the merge tool: the progress bar goes up to 52 % and then disappears (which I took for the successful completion of the merging process). There's no file to be saved and only the current .omwaddon file is still open. I'll try again later, maybe I should use another .omwgame file...

Edit: Got it working with a clean .omwgame file. :) I don't know why the first attempt failed though.

1:40 - I'll additionally mention the preferred way to enter IDs. But I got the purpose of the auto-complete feature right, didn't I?

5:59 - Well, I said "Added", not "Edit". The Modified status should be reset to "Base" or "Added" when undoing all changes.

8:29 - I'll change that.

@psi29a: Yep, I wanted to showcase OpenMW-CS as much as possible. Hopefully, people will like that. Btw: OpenMW-CS tutorial videos are on my "videos that could be done in the future" list. ;)
Last edited by Atahualpa on 11 Mar 2016, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
Zini

Post by Zini »

@Zini: You mean we are currently able to select Instances (only), but there is no possibility to edit something in the Scene view?
As of 0.37.0, yes.
5:59 - Well, I said "Added", not "Edit". The Modified status should be reset to "Base" or "Added" when undoing all changes.
Sorry, I misheard that.