OpenMW 0.39.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

OpenMW 0.39.0

Post by Zini »

And another one. Not a huge amount has changed since my 0.38.0 posting. Before I quickly sum up the situation again a few words about OpenMW 1.0

There have been a few question about when we will jump to the 1.0 version number. As you can see on the bug tracker there are still a few minor features missing (or at least parts of features). That needs to be taken care of. We also still have a large number of bugs. We should strive to fix all or at least all but the most obscure/insignificant ones before we release OpenMW 1.0

I would prefer to release OpenMW 1.0 and OpenMW-CS 1.0 at the same time, because that would save us a sizeable amount of work. However if OpenMW reaches the state described above, we will go ahead with the release anyway.

Back to 0.39.0 then.

Instead of reposting I'll just link my previous post.

We recently acquired two new OpenMW-CS developers and it seems for once they will stick with it. Maybe we can get at least one or two of the listed tasks done? No pressure, but that would be very helpful.

The camera task is still a major blocker. I hope it finally finds a volunteer, but if that will not happen I will at least implement one camera mode (probably orbiting) so that the tasks depending on the camera are opened up. However even a single camera mode will be a sizeable amount of work and I still have plenty of other stuff on my to-do list. Therefore I can't promise that I will have it ready for 0.39.0.

The time frame stays more or less unchanged. At the current development speed we should aim for a release in 1-2 month. Of course is things pick up again, we can have an earlier release.
Zini

Re: OpenMW 0.39.0

Post by Zini »

Apparently I am an idiot. After wasting several hours unsuccessfully trying to quickly fix up the camera system (die in fire OpenSceneGraph) in various ways, I noticed that actually only the orbiting camera mode is hogging all kind of mouse input that is meant for other purposes in OpenMW-CS. The other two camera modes are mostly fine. The only problem here is that the camera manipulators are still using mouse wheel input all the time (which they shouldn't while an edit operation is in progress). But that is a very limited problem and we probably can deal with it.

In short, most of my previous statements about the state of the provisional camera system stopping us from implementing editing function were wrong. Sorry!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

How is drag & drop coming along? When can I place statics and move them around and stuff? ;)
Zini

Post by Zini »

I implemented drag and drop placement a while back, though apparently sometimes instances placed that way do not save. We don't know yet under what conditions that happens.

Moving instances is one of the things I thought that were blocked.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Something for me to test and try to replicate. ;)

Dumb question, I've grabbed the cow.ogst from osg-data repo to test. I managed to create two "objects", cow1 and cow2, one a creature and one a static. I then open up the region map, then open up a cell... how can I then 'drag & drop' the creature or static onto the cell? Or should I be doing something else?
Zini

Post by Zini »

You could for example drag it from the object table to the 3D scene.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Weird, I tried that and got a static icon (or creature icon) with a x on the lower corner in the 3d scene. By 3d scene, do you mean when I click on view cell and I get a rendering of the terrain with the 4 arrows or is there another things I'm missing?

Update: Right... so after waking up and doing another recompile with scrawl latest commit, I ran through the process again above and this time I see a + instead of an x, and can drop this objects in the scene. I swear I haven't had anything to drink! :P

Is it normal that I only see a white square? Rending of statics in a scene/cell isn't yet implemented?

Also, how do I adjust the size of the object? In the preview window it looks HUGE... then in game, it is the size of a hand. Any way to adjust this?

Here is a screenshot of a hostile NPC (moon boy, thanks destinedtodie) and a _small_ cow static.
screenshot002.png
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

You have to scale your objects in Blender to be huge, some big buildings more than Blender wants to render. Preview probably zooms into them enough to create the illusion that they are. Load both Moonboy and cow into Blender and compare their size.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Right now you can do resizing only from the instance table. Drag the ID of the cell to the filter field of the instance table, then locate your added instance (I suggest sorting by modification state, assuming you are working on an addon file). We will get a tool to resize instances in the 3D scene later.

For the white square, that indicates that something has gone wrong with rendering. We don't have proper error reporting yet, but the two usual cases are

1. the object specified by the instance does not exist
2. the object exists but does not specify a model

Edit: I should also mention that the scale of the resizing is limited. I don't have the value limits at hand, but they are not very big (nasty hack to comply with an even nastier MW "feature"). So resizing in a modelling program is probably the right way to go.
dontpokethebear3893

Post by dontpokethebear3893 »

Has anyone addressed the AMD performance issues, especially involving the water shader? Myself and another user posted very similar benchmark results with similar performance behavior, the biggest similarity between us being both AMD processors. Even a simple "OpenMW relies heavily on IPC performance, the water shader renders on the CPU, and that will not change" would suffice, just so myself and others would know what's up

I'm assuming that few if any of the developers of OpenMW use AMD cpus, but if the game doesn't run well on them you should take care in case that's a problem you want to take care of.