OpenMW 0.38.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Greendogo

Re: OpenMW 0.38.0

Post by Greendogo »

What features are being blocked by the camera? I take it object picking/mouse interactions with in-world stuff is completely kaput at the moment?
Zini

Post by Zini »

The problem is that the current camera controllers hog all mouse buttons and (that's the important part) drags with all mouse buttons. But most editing functions are based on drag operations too. We could implement them anyway but then any drag operation (for example moving an instance) would also change the camera perspective at the same time. Obviously that is a no go. We couldn't even test things properly under these conditions.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Zini wrote:The problem is that the current camera controllers hog all mouse buttons and (that's the important part) drags with all mouse buttons. But most editing functions are based on drag operations too. We could implement them anyway but then any drag operation (for example moving an instance) would also change the camera perspective at the same time. Obviously that is a no go. We couldn't even test things properly under these conditions.
Is it possible to use a Blender styled method where you have MMB held to enable camera interfacing functions, and if you release it you're in the scene itself?

Also, while we're on the topic, I may just be whinging, but is the continued rotation/movement after dragging a desired feature? It really threw me off.

In addition, WASD to move camera (in the modes in which it is supposed to do that) did stuff like opening the profiler.

I'm on Windows 10, if that makes a difference.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Surely something like the Creation Kit has most of the same functionality. Can't we copy it?
Zini

Post by Zini »

There seems to be some confusion about the situation. We are not looking into redesigning the camera system. We had a camera system before that was working fine (minus a few minor bugs and one unimplemented feature). It just hasn't made it into the OSG version yet. And that is unfortunately a pretty big task.

What we currently have in 0.37.0 and beyond is nothing but a quick and dirty placeholder. It has nothing to do with the camera system we will end up with.
Zini

Post by Zini »

As discussed before Christmas 0.38.0 has already enough stuff for a release. Unless something else comes up, I will start the RC phase on Monday. If you have anything that you want to get in, now is the time.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Sounds like a plan!
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Finally! It feels like it'll be next year before we release 0.38.0! :P
raevol

Post by raevol »

Greendogo wrote:Finally! It feels like it'll be next year before we release 0.38.0! :P
Ba dum tshh. :D
K0kt409P

Post by K0kt409P »

In case it's been overlooked, I want to point out that master contains a minor regression from 0.37.0: https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3101