OpenMW 0.38.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
sjek

Re: OpenMW 0.38.0

Post by sjek »

+1

athought it would open pandora box for modding x)

as the release being next years side, some basic x,y,z movements?

some use the way of modeling statics and all to one big mesh, and texturing that in blender / nifskope before porting to game.
other way would be to use vanilla CS to place statics with wanted id's and then changing to osg meshes.

it's also possible to do ingame measuring ticks with scripts and use dimension scaling which johnd mentioned thought a lot of calculating
Spoiler: Show
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

sjek wrote:other way would be to use vanilla CS to place statics with wanted id's and then changing to osg meshes.
Unfortunately vanilla CS terms of use state that the product cannot be used commercially. Which I intend to do. So it's Open-CS for me.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Will object drag to scene and object move around scene be in 0.38? Will they be implemented as the last features? I could actually handle the current camera, I have my land generated and I'm very anxious to start placing statics.
That depends on if we can more people to help on OpenMW-CS. And the camera is actually a big problem since it interferes with some of the input (drag) planned for editing.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

master has some interesting stuff:

- ESM loading rewrite (greatly improves compatibility with mods)
- object movement tracker (#1176, fixes a lot of scripting issues, both in the vanilla game and in mods).
- more performance optimizations

https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/compar ... 0...master

438 commits.

I think that's enough material for a new release. How about we aim for a 0.38 by christmas? 8-)
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

The last release is only 2 weeks old, I think it would be a good idea to wait a little more.

Maybe start the release process in the beginning of January
fykc

Post by fykc »

Cramal wrote:The last release is only 2 weeks old, I think it would be a good idea to wait a little more.

Maybe start the release process in the beginning of January
Why would it be a good idea? I'm sorry, but I cannot see the purpose in putting off the release of the next version just because the last release was a few weeks ago, especially if newer releases contain performance improvements. In my opinion, it'd be better to get releases rolling out as soon as they can be. Rapid releases can help drum up interest and keep people interested. I've seen on more than one forum elsewhere people express concern whether the project is slowing down or not due to the fairly sizable span of time between releases. Rapid releases would help alleviate this.
raevol

Post by raevol »

It usually takes us a couple weeks to actually get the release out anyway, in which time more changes will have rolled in.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Christmas isn't really an option, considering that we need a RC phase, not to mention that people will be busy with RL stuff most of next week and probably for the rest of the month. But I would be okay with kicking off the RC phase at the beginning of January.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

What is the possibility of getting more features back from 0.37 that we are missing in 0.37?

:)
Zini

Post by Zini »

I leave it to scrawl to answer about shadows and other graphical aspects.

Regarding OpenCS my call to arms unfortunately did not result in a response. There is a substantial amount of work to do to catch up with the OGRE version and the camera (itself a sizeable task) is a big roadblock for most of the missing features.

If we go for the early January release the chances to get anything for 0.38.0 are about zero (that is unless someone happens to be really bored over Christmas). We probably get some of the features back for 0.39.0, but to make substantial progress we need to reactivate some of our OpenCS developers.