OpenMW 0.37.0 (?)

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
densm27

Re: OpenMW 0.37.0 (?)

Post by densm27 »

Water looks great from outside, but I don't think that I like that total internal reflection effect when underwater. Looks confusing sometimes.
Attachments
screenshot005.jpg
Chris

Post by Chris »

densm27 wrote:Water looks great from outside, but I don't think that I like that total internal reflection effect when underwater. Looks confusing sometimes.
The internal underwater reflection is a natural phenomenon. But saying that, I do think underwater in general has a poor mix of old and new rendering techniques which cause the reflections to look "bad". In particular, the fogging doesn't really act like proper underwater light scattering, which makes things look relatively flat and the reflection fake.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Admittedly I haven't been playing for a few weeks, but launching the game and playing today to check out the new shader, I am experiencing a noticeable decline in performance. It's still better than the Ogre version, and it's still playable, but I wanted to speak up just in case.

Ash storms seem to have a huge effect on performance in particular. In general my FPS is lower too, by maybe a half to a third of the FPS I was getting before, interior and exterior. The OSG frame graph seems to show that the game is spending a ton of time on the GPU. I have an Nvidia GT 440 which I know isn't a great card, but it should be able to handle things fine, I've played UT3 through wine with great frames in the past on this card.

If there's any debug or more detailed info I can provide, let me know. I know this is very hand-wavy info on my part, but I wanted to speak up.
sandstranger

Post by sandstranger »

d
Last edited by sandstranger on 18 Jan 2018, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
sjek

Post by sjek »

looks good with low res version
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Just tried out Scrawl's latest on the RPi2, we go from about 20fps to 10fps @ 800x600 outside. This is with all settings on. I'm glad that the shaders work!
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Terrain improvements have been pushed to master. Performance should be much improved for users that were previously GPU-limited. My Intel HD Graphics laptop jumped from 7 to 21 fps in balmora (more or less what it got with Ogre). And thus concludes the release checklist:

- Sun flare
- OpenCS object selection in the scene window
- Water shader
- Terrain optimizations

Please start creating the RC packages when Zini gives the go ahead.

I need to get in contact with WeirdSexy regarding video-making, we have quite a lot to show off this time around. ;)
lysol

Post by lysol »

This is gonna be so great. Good job everyone, but maybe especially scrawl who has almost by himself changed the entire rendering engine since the last release. Which is... Awesome.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

:D

And we're off!
Zini

Post by Zini »

Great! I don't think there is a lot to wrap up (development activity has been a bit slow recently with the exception of scrawl). And since we are extremely late we can as well forgo the one week wrap up phase that was planned originally. I still need to wrap up a few things myself though. So let's say Monday-ish for the start of the RC phase.