OpenMW 0.37.0 (?)

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
raevol

Re: OpenMW 0.37.0 (?)

Post by raevol »

Hmm hmm, how's this look? https://gist.github.com/mickeylyle/2a0c ... /revisions

EDIT: Zini, do we need new release builds done at this point? Anything we are waiting on? Or are we using RC3?
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Hello all, long time no see!

Okay, I'll try to keep this short:
  • I am ashamed of dropping off from doing videos
  • I would like to do an OSG video as a way of getting back into it
  • However, I don't have the tools I used to use to make videos anymore (Adobe Creative Suite)
  • I want to build a podcasting environment using open source tools, but there are unknowns in this for me. I don't know how long it will take to set everything up and learn a workflow.
Additionally, I will be traveling this week without access to my main machine.

So, all I can do at this point is keep everyone posted on my environment progress. I'd welcome input on what should go into an OSG video in the meantime, though.
mychaelo

Post by mychaelo »

I'd say:
- Why switch to OSG from Ogre, what benefits does it bring etc
- Talk about HUGE perf boost with OSG as engine (and more improvements to come)
- Of course a ton of bugs got fixed in the process (no need to dive deeply, there's just too much to cover)
- [probably too early to discuss just yet] Current status, near-future feature plans
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Hi WeirdSexy, great to hear from you!
I want to build a podcasting environment using open source tools, but there are unknowns in this for me. I don't know how long it will take to set everything up and learn a workflow.
For the one or two OpenMW videos I made a year ago, I used SimpleScreenRecorder, audacity, and kdenlive. kdenlive had a few bugs but it was workable.
So, all I can do at this point is keep everyone posted on my environment progress. I'd welcome input on what should go into an OSG video in the meantime, though.
It would be great to have a video on the OSG port separate from the release video. We can show:

- Higher framerates. About 250-400% on a typical desktop system. Feel free to do your own tests and show the numbers in the video.
- The game starts up faster, and cells load much faster. Cells that were previously visited load more or less instantly.
- Correct scaling of NPCs.
- The batching system for static objects was ditched (since our new renderer is so fast that we don't need it). Practical benefits resulting from this are improved lighting, and the ability to move Static objects via scripts.
- Proper support for alpha blended objects. Previously we used alpha testing instead (in an effort to facilitate the static object batching system), which produces hard edges. Now the foliage looks as intended.
- Profiling overlay which is mainly meant for OpenMW developers, but could be useful to modders as well to find bottlenecks and optimize their plugins.
- Antialiasing now works on all platforms.
- Plenty of bug fixes not worth showing in video form, but maybe could be briefly mentioned at the end.
- Why switch to OSG from Ogre, what benefits does it bring etc
The technical details are a bit too involved for a short video. I think the video should just focus on new features and improvements. We can link to the existing blog posts for technical details.
- [probably too early to discuss just yet] Current status, near-future feature plans
We could mention the native mesh format that is not in the 0.37 release but in master. Then we need to mention features that were not ported yet (see the 0.37 release announcement) and declare plans to restore these features in the near future.
Zini

Post by Zini »

@raevol: The last round of RCs isn't that old (for some platforms at least). But I think we are nearly there.

@corristo, @ace: Anything to add regarding your respective platforms?
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

I'd prefer to run another build, mainly because there's no easy way to update the packaged version file in the Windows installer.
And it's nice to have the release build say it's a release build.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Well, yeah, please do make the release build from the release tag. I think that should be obvious.

@Zini: time to create the tag?
raevol

Post by raevol »

Oh, I forgot about the tag, good stuff.

@WeirdSexy look into OpenShot (http://openshot.org/). It should be the video editor you need, and I've met the guy who makes it a few times, he's a super good guy. Don't let the simplicity of the editor fool you, it's actually pretty powerful.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

@WeirdSexy look into OpenShot (http://openshot.org/). It should be the video editor you need, and I've met the guy who makes it a few times, he's a super good guy. Don't let the simplicity of the editor fool you, it's actually pretty powerful.
OpenShot frequently crashed when I tried it, but maybe that is fixed by now. It's worth a shot (heh).
lysol

Post by lysol »

Read somewhere that blender actually has a quite descent video editing tool. Might be worth checking out?