OpenMW 0.36.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
wareya

Re: OpenMW 0.36.0

Post by wareya »

>Additionally, the only things I was going to show for the engine were:

You could show the crazy water zfighting that used to happen in Seyda Neen, and how it's nonexistent now :)
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

WeirdSexy wrote:I never really made headway on a video for this release. If I can get some explanation for the below items, I can give it another shot. I am not able to actively keep up with development, so figuring out and demonstrating the OpenCS stuff is very difficult.

Task #2516: Editor: Change References / Referenceables terminology
What changed? Referenceables are now objects and references are now instances? Why?
See viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2873&p=32284&hilit= ... les#p32284 for the short discussion.
sjek

Post by sjek »

Feature #2262: Editor: Handle moved references
Couldn't figure out what this was referring to, but sounds like I don't need to show anything about it anyway.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2868
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=577&start=30#p8886
https://bugs.openmw.org/projects/openmw ... 91043aa016

kinda longer one but are those NAM0 and MWRF handled gracefully that you can, say make a global that moves traveling merchant with ai travel on the other side of the continent?
If the reference was just moved, two mods that move the same object would create duplicates (either two copies or two references to the original). Mods that edit part of the reference but don't move it, no longer have a simple way to find the reference to alter. Mods that delete the reference now leave a hanging reference in another cell. You may see there is a requirement for a placeholder where the original object was, at the very least.
like every mod is able to get the reference from the original place while only mess with the other mods if it's otherwise kept exactly same or every with its own instance?

(objects -> general markers, instance -> placements in the game world )

curious : )
aitravel is kinda easy to test.... in editor could move to different places and handle the different placements keeping the base record good for mod combapility .?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Ideally we would want a video for 0.36.0. It is mostly editor stuff, but it is a lot of editor stuff.
Feature #1219: Editor: Add dialog mode only columns
No clue about this one.
In OpenMW-CS you can view/edit records in two forms. Either a table which shows one record per row or a form-type dialogue sub-view. The table is missing some fields (which we also call columns) that can't easily be handled in a table (e.g. because these fields are tables too). These kind of fields are accessible only in the dialogue sub-view. However since the first implementation of the dialogue sub-view did not add any new field/column implementations, these dialogue-only columns were missing up to now.
Feature #2425: Editor: Add start script table
Feature #2426: Editor: start script record verifier
Nothing shows up in this table for me ...
What are start scripts? Why do they need their own verifier?
When you start OpenMW a script named main is started as a global script. Originally when you wrote a mod that needed its own startup script you would have to modify the main script and start it from there. This would often cause mod conflicts.

One of the expansions added the ability to specify additional startup scripts via a new record type, so that mods that require running global scripts on startup did not have to mess with the main scripts anymore.

The only thing the start script verifier does is to verify that the script specified in the startup script record actually exists.
Task #2516: Editor: Change References / Referenceables terminology
What changed? Referenceables are now objects and references are now instances? Why?
The original names were confusing a lot of people (and they were also ugly). So we changed them to something less confusing (and less ugly).
Feature #2262: Editor: Handle moved references
Couldn't figure out what this was referring to, but sounds like I don't need to show anything about it anyway.
In the editor move an instance from one exterior cell to another. This needs to generate a specific data structure when saving the content file. The implementation of this was missing.