PR person and posting updates on other forums

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: PR person and posting updates on other forums

Post by psi29a »

Thanks, updated.
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

OpenMW itself won’t accept accept monetary donations. The best donation a non-developer can give is testing and feedback.

However, if you wish to support a developer and web-hosting costs, you may do so. Those donations aren’t affiliated with OpenMW, nor come with any perks attached. Here are the links:

Scrawl’s donations page
There are a few people there that would love to work on the libraries that OpenMW uses such as OpenSceneGraph, OpenAL-Soft and MyGUI exclusively, so that would mean they would live on donations. Please, if you wish to donate… send it to them as it would benefit more people than just OpenMW.
I think the answer to Do you accept donations? Where can I send the money? is not the most clear.

There "here are the links"is a little abrupt to me. Maybe introduce it as :

There are a few developper that would be happy to spend more time on open source software and libraries such as OpenMW but also librairies used by OpenMW such as OpenSceneGraph, OpenAL-Soft and MyGUI. If you wish to support them you can donate. Send the donation directly to them and it would benefit OpenMW as well as all the other project they are contributing. An example of this kind of developper is scrawl to which you can donate through this page.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Thanks!

I re-worded and spell-checked a few things you wrote. Please review. :)
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

You did it in a much better way than I. Thanks.

Another small remarks :

- the section "OpenMW objectives for v1.0" and the message of Zini is for a big part o repetition of what is said just above in "What is OpenMW/OpenMW-CS?". I know a FAQ is not suppose to be read from the beginning to the end and thus doubling of information is not a problem, but it moderatly bothers me, so I point it.

- there is some inconsistencies about the need of morrowind or not. In the section "License and legal stuff" there is this sentence :
You MUST own a legal copy of Morrowind before you can use OpenMW
which is quite in contradiction with the message give in "Do I need Morrowind?" which it is really clear.

- I don't think that the "long anwser" to "Can I use the assets from the XBox or XBox 360 version of Morrowind with OpenMW?" is long enough to justify the split. IMHO, a simple
No. Bethesda has asked us not to mix platforms, that means no PC Morrowind on non-PC platforms, such as the XBox. This also means no XBox Morrowind on the PC or any other non-XBox platform, except for the XBox itself or the XBox360.
would do the job at least as weel as current version
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Thanks! I corrected the 2nd and 3rd point you made.

Can you also eyeball this?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3284&p=36524

It will eventually be merged into the main FAQ.
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

Your post is good, but sandstranger's post is not clear and i don't think putting it in the FAQ as is would be a good idea.

Some informations are usefull, but you would need to redo the presentation and include it in a more global description
sandstranger

Post by sandstranger »

d
Last edited by sandstranger on 18 Jan 2018, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

sandstranger wrote:But I think that should be added to the faq,that running morrowind on Android - it's illegal .
It's not illegal. We just don't advertise it.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

It isn't illegal.
sandstranger

Post by sandstranger »

d
Last edited by sandstranger on 18 Jan 2018, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.