Feature Cleanup and Beta

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Feature Cleanup and Beta

Post by psi29a »

Okulo wrote:I kinda need some filling up for a new newspost. When the most exciting thing has been an irate modder crying about being a victim, I'm eager to add something of substance.
We can complete the main quest of vanilla morrowind and its two expansions without resorting to 'tricks'. I say that is a pretty great accomplishment.
raevol

Post by raevol »

psi29a wrote:If you want to reach out to more people and bring more devs in, go for it, but don't fall into the trap that more people == faster development time. Please read:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month
adding manpower to a late software project makes it later
I hear you there for sure... but it seems silly to sit on my hands. We can always revert things if scrawl or someone has a better/faster solution? And we can make people aware of that before they get started.
Zini

Post by Zini »

The problem isn't that what new contributors may produce might be bad. The problem is that new contributors might:

- need an extensive amount of time to find their ways around and by the time they have finished we probably already have a working implementation
- give up, because the task is simply to hard without extensive knowledge of the codebase/the topic
- require extensive coaching which will take away manpower from elsewhere
- any combination of the above
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Zini wrote:- require extensive coaching which will take away manpower from elsewhere
+1

This leads to slower development overall and releases will be fewer in between with less bug-fixes and features.

If someone is determined and can get on with minimal help, then more power to them... welcome aboard. However at this point, taking on someone that is "green" is a BIG risk for the project. We are really at that point.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

psi29a wrote:We can complete the main quest of vanilla morrowind and its two expansions without resorting to 'tricks'. I say that is a pretty great accomplishment.
I thought we could already do that? Vanilla, at least...
dEnigma

Post by dEnigma »

Okulo wrote:
psi29a wrote:We can complete the main quest of vanilla morrowind and its two expansions without resorting to 'tricks'. I say that is a pretty great accomplishment.
I thought we could already do that? Vanilla, at least...
Yeah, we could definitely in the case of the base game, I'm not 100% sure about the expansions (I just recently completed Tribunal and am just starting with Bloodmoon). I just threw out the idea to mention that in the OpenMW 0.34 topic, since I wasn't sure if we ever actually announced on the website that one can play all the main quest without major problems.
nopoe

Post by nopoe »

I mentioned in a past thread that I might be able to fix a few physics issues I noticed but nobody seemed to acknowledge it. Unless things have changed significantly I should be able to figure out the relevant parts of the codebase without any help. I don't expect to be able to take over work that the more experienced developers are doing, but I've worked on the physics code before.

Link to other post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2466&start=100#p28549
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

@nopoe

Do it!
dEnigma

Post by dEnigma »

nopoe wrote:I mentioned in a past thread that I might be able to fix a few physics issues I noticed but nobody seemed to acknowledge it. Unless things have changed significantly I should be able to figure out the relevant parts of the codebase without any help. I don't expect to be able to take over work that the more experienced developers are doing, but I've worked on the physics code before.

Link to other post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2466&start=100#p28549
I saw your earlier post, but I was waiting for a developer to respond (and then after a while I forgot about it ;). IMHO it would be great if you could improve the physics code, since there indeed are some little annoying bugs.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

I don't believe any endorsement is required to submit a pull request and as far as I'm concerned all efforts are welcome. There may be some review comments when a pull request is made, and it can be challenging (don't I know it), but the comments are mostly constructive and well worth having.