Crowdfunding

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Br0ken

Re: Crowdfunding

Post by Br0ken »

It should be better to place a link to Scrawl's blog on the website.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

I agree with Broken. It seems like Scrawl has difficulty getting funded until the end of the month. If we could get some new release videos out with a link to Scrawl's paypal, then I think he'd start getting more consistent funding.
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

"It's great to know that Bethesda do not have a problem with mod authors receiving voluntary donations from other users (and they used the analogy of a tip jar)"

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/ ... for-users/
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

March 2015 is funded. :)
Ossa

Post by Ossa »

First time donating to another person, you truly derserve it scrawl.
K0kt409P

Post by K0kt409P »

Heh.
Thanks to your sustained donations, I am not at risk of having to get a job anytime soon.
Congratulations, scrawl!
Azlidor

Post by Azlidor »

Have you considered possibly adding extra features that donators would receive with the 1.0 release? Possibly a card with the OpenMW logo that has the signatures of the developers on it, a personalized letter to the donator, or perhaps even recognition within the readme upon the release?
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Azlidor wrote:Have you considered possibly adding extra features that donators would receive with the 1.0 release? Possibly a card with the OpenMW logo that has the signatures of the developers on it, a personalized letter to the donator, or perhaps even recognition within the readme upon the release?
The project itself isn't really the focus of the fundraising. Using Morrowind assets for commercial purposes (like securing crowdfunding) is illegal, and OpenMW technically doesn't do that but if Bethesda wanted to sue it could. Since the fundraising is specifically for keeping a developer working on the project, and not the project itself, it makes it easier to stay in legal territory, but once the project rewards donors for helping keep a (technically independent) developer on the project we've got some contamination going on.
Azlidor

Post by Azlidor »

SquireNed wrote:
Azlidor wrote:Have you considered possibly adding extra features that donators would receive with the 1.0 release? Possibly a card with the OpenMW logo that has the signatures of the developers on it, a personalized letter to the donator, or perhaps even recognition within the readme upon the release?
The project itself isn't really the focus of the fundraising. Using Morrowind assets for commercial purposes (like securing crowdfunding) is illegal, and OpenMW technically doesn't do that but if Bethesda wanted to sue it could. Since the fundraising is specifically for keeping a developer working on the project, and not the project itself, it makes it easier to stay in legal territory, but once the project rewards donors for helping keep a (technically independent) developer on the project we've got some contamination going on.
That makes sense. I suppose I was just focusing on things that weren't illegal, but I didn't really consider how hard Bethesda would push that type of an issue.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Azlidor wrote: That makes sense. I suppose I was just focusing on things that weren't illegal, but I didn't really consider how hard Bethesda would push that type of an issue.
If they ever saw OpenMW as a "threat", they probably would push it far. And they've got money to spend on lawyers.