Crowdfunding

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Mistahtokyo

Re: Crowdfunding (again)

Post by Mistahtokyo »

Didn't even know you had a donation button. Let's just say you can afford a pizza or two now.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

What the hell, you guys.

I woke up today and let's just say that I received a copious amount of pizzas. As per the first posting we are well underway towards buying a month of my time. And that within the first day after I posted this thread.

I had already accepted a bunch of freelance gigs that should keep me busy this month, so the earliest I can start devoting myself exclusively to "programming activities" is start of december.

So apparently this thread was all the attention we needed. This is the best day of my life. Thank you.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Way to make yourself invaluable to the project, then start charging, code-hoe! :P

Seriously though, congrats and I wish you success with your freelancing. I doubt asking people, who want to, to donate money to individual developers to work on OpenMW will raise the ire of Bethesda. We've made it clear already that the project is evolving into something more than just "Morrowind". In addition to that, you also work on other supporting projects such as MyGUI and Ogre3D which pretty much sums up our FAQ about this.

I do think we need to make our FAQ entry on donation a bit more subtle. Scrawl, what would you propose?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Seriously though, congrats and I wish you success with your freelancing.
It's going surprisingly well, considering that I basically threw myself into it based on some isolated work that I did on the side a year ago.
I also get to work within the Ogre3D ecosystem, which is awesome, since a portion of my work may benefit OpenMW indirectly. For instance, the recent improvements to the video player (which is now a standalone Ogre-addon) were actually sponsored by a third party.
So yeah, I'm definitely liking it, but I do wish I had more time for direct instead of indirect work. Which I now do, thanks to you guys!
I do think we need to make our FAQ entry on donation a bit more subtle. Scrawl, what would you propose?
Hah... I'm not good with subtlety. I was thinking to get Okulo to write something for me when I get a hold of him (since having this thread mentioned in a blogpost would be nice too). Of course we need to get Zini's approval on the chosen wording.
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

If individual people want to accept donations, let 'em. Just don't accept them for OpenMW (directly or indirectly), and don't let individuals say it's for OpenMW (directly at least; I'm aware indirectly is a whole different ballgame for individuals versus OpenMW as a whole).
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

It's great that you're getting such a positive reaction and also to have quickly found freelancing work. Best of luck to you, I'm sure you'll do great, based on your excellent work demonstrated so far.
scrawl wrote:For instance, the recent improvements to the video player (which is now a standalone Ogre-addon) were actually sponsored by a third party.
I just noticed this - I have a couple of questions - can the licence be MIT given that some of the code came from GPL (i.e. OpenMW)? Also, shouldn't the copyright notice point back to OpenMW?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I just noticed this - I have a couple of questions - can the licence be MIT given that some of the code came from GPL (i.e. OpenMW)?
Code can be freely relicensed when the original authors give consent. The video player was written by me and Chris, I did ask him for his consent.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

scrawl wrote:Code can be freely relicensed when the original authors give consent. The video player was written by me and Chris, I did ask him for his consent.
There are others who contributed to the code base, even if in a minor way. Anyway, I'm not trying to cause trouble, you also have my consent for the small parts that I contributed (don't know my consent is needed at all, but there it is).
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Yes, I do realize there were other small contributions and I evaluated all those. I did consider asking you, but ended up rewriting the resample code anyway for other reasons.

It's good that you are pointing this stuff out, I should have posted an announcement here when I did that.

Hope that clears up the concerns, ping me on IRC if there's any left.
Last edited by scrawl on 12 Nov 2014, 05:50, edited 2 times in total.
Ascent

Post by Ascent »

You can now afford many more pizzas, courtesy of myself. I appreciate all of your work on this project, scrawl! Thank you! But don't forget to exercise after gorging on all of those pizzas. :D

Also I donated to the Ogre3D project back in August in the interest of furthering OGRE 2.0 development. My nickname is listed on their Sponsors page.