OpenMW 0.34.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
corristo

Re: OpenMW 0.34.0

Post by corristo »

Here we go, OpenMW 0.34 for OS X: http://downloads.openmw.org/osx/openmw-0.34.0.dmg
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Here we go, windows builds finally;

32-bit
64-bit

Sorry for the wait, real life has been keeping me busy.

On an unrelated note, build time is a bit high on Windows. I think I'll be looking into ways of trying to cut it down a bit in the future.
(The time values overlap by the way, built it with multiple jobs)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Sent it on in to Debian for review.

Update:
building and uploading to PPA for Ubuntu precise, trusty, utopic and vivid.

Heads up, with all the cruft we have for precise support, I propose that we drop precise support in the future. Especially when we take the step to next Ogre release.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

Corristo, do you have compiler optimisation turned on when you build? I'm asking because I can't see any performance increase compared to the 0.33.0 build. It might be a good idea to build with optimisation on from now, OpenMW has become playable and better performance will allow more users to test. Macs are particularly problematic, our graphics cards are always at the lower end of the spectrum, cannot be replaced and since the machines are so expensive we are stuck with them for quite a while.
corristo

Post by corristo »

@HiPhish
nothing special, just "-O3" as always (CMake default for release configuration).

I'm thinking about creating homebrew formula, so users could build OpenMW on their Macs themselves with CPU-specific flags (AFAIK homebrew by defaults picks proper optimization flags) effortlessly.

UPD: Anyway, I don't think that messing around with compiler switches could bring any serious performance improvements. We're mostly GPU-bound (especially on older Macs), and GPU performance has almost nothing to do with compiler optimizations.
Last edited by corristo on 20 Dec 2014, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Sorry I have been MIA, all the things I have been putting off because I was focused on finals sprang up and slapped me around as soon as finals were over.

Here's a new release draft: https://gist.github.com/mickeylyle/6f83 ... /revisions

Zini, sorry to hold things up more, but I'd like your final approval on that draft as there's some critical changes.
Zini

Post by Zini »

This
Crash or unexpected behavior while closing OpenCS cell render window on OSX
has been fixed. The rest looks okay.
MiroslavR

Post by MiroslavR »

A few typos:
  • "Darth Gares" -> "Dagoth Gares"
  • "floading" -> "floating"
  • "hanlding" -> "handling"
Fixed recalculation of Magicka less aggressive
This seems grammatically incorrect.
Disabled third-person view by default due to usability issues (can be re-enabled in settings file)
Pretty sure this should say "zoom" instead of "view".
Fixed crash when adding light_de_streetlight_01_223 to the player via the console
That's just a specific example. A better description would be "Fixed crash when calling getDistance on items in the player's inventory".
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

"Darth Gares" -> "Dagoth Gares"
That made my day!
raevol

Post by raevol »

Thanks all, much revisions: https://gist.github.com/mickeylyle/6f83 ... /revisions

I really appreciate the copy-editing, as I tend to write fast and loose while writing the announcement, because translating the gobblygook people put in their bug reports into layman english is some form of linguistic wizardry. Especially when I don't have the best understanding of the technical aspects of every issue...

Starting the release now!