Release Video Commentaries

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
dramakon

Re: Release Video Commentaries

Post by dramakon »

No problem, glad to be of help in some way for this amazing project
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Here is the video, any feedback before I make it public?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjzoVDy1aBA
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Great work! :)

My only real comment, was that the first minute of the video, weirdsexy sounds tired or bored (as opposed to not passionate). I hope everything is OK good buddy! :)

I only mention this, because the tone of the voice over sets the mood for the video, thankfully after the first minute we get our old friend and "OpenMW Guide" back making small jokes and laughing again. The post-credit ending is also a nice touch.
dramakon

Post by dramakon »

Good effort. I like the video, especially the outtake at the end.
best
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

Little nitpick to keep in mind for the next time: the part about level up sound being implemented could have been shortened. We didn't really need to see the player jump down the hallway, walk towards the bed and select how long to sleep. You could have just started with the player selecting how long to sleep; I had no idea what to expect until the voice over started. Otherwise good work, I wouldn't guess that this wasn't done all by one person like the previous ones.
dEnigma

Post by dEnigma »

I agree with HiPhish, that was the only part of the video that just didn't seem right (even though I knew what you were going to show)
raevol

Post by raevol »

Amazing amazing. :lol: Love it.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Okay, I shortened that segment as per your suggestion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfq2j8bgQnM

Any more comments, if not I would publish it tomorrow.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Good video guys. IMO 6 or 7 minutes should be an upper limit on videos to keep them exciting.

Weirdsexy, the end of that video had me chuckling for about a minute. Whoever recorded that footage and decided to keep it in, good idea.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

psi29a wrote:My only real comment, was that the first minute of the video, weirdsexy sounds tired or bored (as opposed to not passionate).
Bored? No. Tired? Most definitely.

The narration did seem a bit uneasy for the first minute or so. Perhaps my performance (do I actually perform?) might have been flat, but I think that the music being nearly silent behind my voice could be having a large effect on the overall 'mood'.

As an additional note on that last point: I think it's quite nice that there is no music in the background on the outtake clip at the end. Really makes it feel like an outtake.

Also, it's a bit funny how narration and cinematography affect each other in the mix. For example, I think my delivery of the line "enjoy the ... conciliatory tones of Jeremy Soule's original soundtrack as their thread of prophesy is broken ... once again." was a bit awkward. I think I was expecting the clip to be more dramatic or something. I guess these little difficulties in collaboration are things that neither scrawl nor I have experience dealing with. Probably what I should do is keep several different recordings of lines like that and let the cinematographer choose the most fitting one.

As long as I'm not the one making the video, I'm not going to be one to complain :) nice job!