Matt Grandstaff and Android Development

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Matt Grandstaff and Android Development

Post by psi29a »

raevol wrote:
Matt Grandstaff wrote:Comments/request on OpenMW -- not right now, but I'll be following the project more closely now that I've chatted with you guys.
What's this bit referring to?
I asked if there was anything that Bethesda would like to see improved, added (like multiplayer) or easter-eggs? ;)

It was very light hearted conversation.

@HiPhish: They use platform to mean type of system, very vague on their part. For them, any machine that can run Windows is a PC, this includes Apple systems these days as well since they run on i386/amd64 architecture.

They understand that OpenMW is architecture agnostic, so we could run on any platform out there, if there are people to commit patches/code to make it happen.

They just don't want us to promote that you can run Morrowind on non-PC platforms, such as mobiles. We're still working out the details, but this is a sort of gentleman's agreement. In theory, we could have told Bethesda to go pack sand as we are in our legal right to do with OpenMW as we please so long as no IP of theirs is being distributed. We, however, would rather be on good terms with Bethesda, because the reality is, they could make life for us very difficult.

What I'm doing now is trying to guarantee that developers can contribute code to OpenMW without fear from angering Bethesda.
sandstranger

Post by sandstranger »

вфц
Last edited by sandstranger on 18 Jan 2018, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Yes it is.

We should probably slowly warm up to get the example suite development going again (so we have something we can showcase with Android). OpenCS isn't that far off. If we are limiting us to interiors (for the time being), then we are only missing two record types and a few fixes here and there. Of course woldbuilding right now is a pain in the arse, because the 3D editing functions aren't ready yet and you have to go through the tables. But even that shouldn't take that long.
lysol

Post by lysol »

psi29a wrote: They use platform to mean type of system, very vague on their part. For them, any machine that can run Windows is a PC, this includes Apple systems these days as well since they run on i386/amd64 architecture.

They understand that OpenMW is architecture agnostic, so we could run on any platform out there, if there are people to commit patches/code to make it happen.

They just don't want us to promote that you can run Morrowind on non-PC platforms, such as mobiles. We're still working out the details, but this is a sort of gentleman's agreement. In theory, we could have told Bethesda to go pack sand as we are in our legal right to do with OpenMW as we please so long as no IP of theirs is being distributed. We, however, would rather be on good terms with Bethesda, because the reality is, they could make life for us very difficult.
Oh, this is so typical of how technology evolves and juridic don't. It sort of reminds me about the Swedish equivalent to BBC, namely SVT (the television of Sweden). In Sweden, anyone that has a TV-screen has to pay the public service fee. In return, SVT gives us ad-free TV. Nowadays though, when SVT puts all their stuff on the web, the question is - what IS a TV-screen? A computer? And if not, since you can plug a TV-screen to a computer, is a TV-screen always a TV-screen? Or could it be a computer screen? I heard of a guy that removed every part on his TV-screen that makes the screen a TV-screen just to be able to not pay the public service fee. He then took it to court. He lost. So if he'd bought a regular computer screen with the same size as the TV-screen (which more or less don't exist), he wouldn't have to pay. Haha. Stupid people who don't understand how things work today.

Sorry if it got a bit too off topic... :)
HeadClot

Post by HeadClot »

Zini wrote:Yes it is.

We should probably slowly warm up to get the example suite development going again (so we have something we can showcase with Android). OpenCS isn't that far off. If we are limiting us to interiors (for the time being), then we are only missing two record types and a few fixes here and there. Of course woldbuilding right now is a pain in the arse, because the 3D editing functions aren't ready yet and you have to go through the tables. But even that shouldn't take that long.
I would be willing to help with the example Suite in the 3D art portion of it :)

Should I post my feature requests for world building and the like in the Features and suggestions forum?
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

psi29a wrote:@HiPhish: They use platform to mean type of system, very vague on their part. For them, any machine that can run Windows is a PC, this includes Apple systems these days as well since they run on i386/amd64 architecture.

What I'm doing now is trying to guarantee that developers can contribute code to OpenMW without fear from angering Bethesda.
Yes, I understand that. I'm just pointing out that OpenMW is not promoting any Platform at all, just the Engine. For all we know WeirdSexy could be running OpenMW on his toaster for his videos. It's really the news sites that started hyping up a specific platform, Android in this case, rather than the concept of OpenMW. I think OpenMW should be safe as long as it's kept that way, and the only platform-specific reference is in the downloads section or technical pages of the Wiki (like building from source or installation).
Zini

Post by Zini »

I would be willing to help with the example Suite in the 3D art portion of it :)

Should I post my feature requests for world building and the like in the Features and suggestions forum?
We had once a separate subforum for the example suite. Not sure what happened to it. Before we get into details, we should set up the forum again, see who is available to work on it and what material and concepts we have available from the previous attempt.

Anyway, no hurry. We are at least two releases away from the point where we actually can do work in OpenCS (I used the expression "slowly warming up" for a reason). Of course if people want to get a headstart with ideas and models, that is fine.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

The OpenMW.esm file can be found here: http://www.mindwerks.net/2013/02/introd ... ing-needs/

It is near the bottom.

So in theory, we have a small world to begin with. If you read near the bottom of the post, it talks about a crypt, a small villiage/town, lighthouse and other places.

If this could be populated with trees, houses, people, animals, monsters... we'll be well on our way.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

HeadClot wrote:I would be willing to help with the example Suite in the 3D art portion of it :)
That would be great, please make a thread in the showcase forum hereand post a few examples of your work and the kind of work you want to do (modeling right?).
Zini wrote:We had once a separate subforum for the example suite. Not sure what happened to it.
It's still there, is it hidden? Maybe it's hidden, let me check. I need to clean it up a bit and delete/archive all the irrelevant discussion there, since it was originally going to be a lot more complicated than it is now.
Edit: It's not hidden. Can you not see it?

@BrotherBrick- Unfortunately, we're not going to use that, even though it's pretty well made (sorry PVDK! :? ). We're going to start from scratch and make the Example Suite using only the OpenCS in order to demonstrate exactly what can be done with it. Using the vanilla CS might afford us some luxuries in usability for the moment, since the OpenCS isn't done yet, but it isn't really playing by the rules if we use it. And this should work a lot more smoothly, because the scope of the Example Suite is much smaller than it used to be; so we should be able to get it done more quickly.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Agreed. We could still use that heightmap tool though (not yet obviously, since the editor loses all terrain on load).

I am actually somewhat excited about the prospect of OpenCS being used for real editing. So far the test coverage has been terrible. I have repeatedly run into really basic bugs that were sitting there unnoticed for months. Someone actually using OpenCS should help a lot, even if that turns the person using it into a guinea pig (not literally, I hope; we aren't bugged that badly).