Matt Grandstaff and Android Development

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Greendogo

Re: OpenMW 0.31.0

Post by Greendogo »

Interesting development. However, OpenMW isn't just for Morrowind, so running a separate game made for OpenMW on Android shouldn't alarm them.

Well, luckily for us, the OpenMW engine isn't their modding tool and will eventually be on any platform we want it to be.

Though, obviously we don't need to advertise OpenMW as a way to play Morrowind on mobile platforms, if that is going to exacerbate things. Perhaps for OpenMW on mobile we should say you can run TCs and custom content and don't say anything about Morrowind?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Regardless, I think it still is something Zini (as project leader) should discuss and get clarified with gstaff/Bethesda. There's no need to antagonize Bethesda over what could be a misunderstanding.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Chris wrote:Regardless, I think it still is something Zini (as project leader) should discuss and get clarified with gstaff/Bethesda. There's no need to antagonize Bethesda over what could be a misunderstanding.
Yes, I agree.

Though, I'd like to point out this part:
modding projects with our modding tools
OpenMW doesn't fit that description since it's written from scratch, right?
Zini

Post by Zini »

It would be very helpful if someone could verify the identity of that guy. Just to make sure. After that is done we need the contact information. I saw a new user on the forum with the name gstaffBethesda. Is that him?
vorenon

Post by vorenon »

Please check the email address of the gstaffBethesda account. He also got a twitter account: @gstaffinfection. You can try to ask him directly.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Matt's official BGS forum profile is Gstaff. If the message came from someone else, it's likely a hoax.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Greendogo wrote:Yes, I agree.
Though, I'd like to point out this part:
modding projects with our modding tools
OpenMW doesn't fit that description since it's written from scratch, right?
That's exactly what jumped out at me. If it was a real notice, I would think he would pay more attention to his English as well. I don't buy it.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Still waiting for that official letter...

otherwise, business as usual gentlemen.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

psi29a wrote:...
otherwise, business as usual gentlemen.
Except for sandstranger:
sandstranger wrote:Anyway, personally I will not continue this project anymore. I do not need a heart attack or imprisonment . I have without it bad heart
That's not good, we can't have people working on OpenMW afraid of getting sued or arrested, which is why when we get in contact with Matt (Gstaff) we should politely ask him to let Bethesda know they should go through Zini if they want to officially communicate with the project.

That would keep our devs from getting weird messages and getting spooked and feeling threatened. Nothing against BethSoft, but they are a big company with a set protocol for legal issues and having that legal machine freely contacting our devs individually is not the best situation, and, like Chris said, we don't need to unnecessarily antagonize Bethesda, but that's a two way street.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Has anyone tried to contact one of Matt's official accounts? Should we appoint someone has a point of contact for taking care of this?