Matt Grandstaff and Android Development

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Matt Grandstaff and Android Development

Post by psi29a »

Right, just got another one back from Matt and we seem to have sealed the deal.

I've been slowly but surely posting the emails, redacting emails and other small bits with 'xxx' and you can read them here: https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Bethesda_Emails

Please do not edit them, we'll get around to locking them for edit soon.

So here is the deal, I wrote it and Matt/Bethesda agreed to it.
Matt Grandstaff wrote:
psi29a wrote: I just want to make sure that any developers out there that want to contribute code/patches to OpenMW, are free to do so, for any platform they please without fear, as is the case with SandStranger. I'll not go into details, but he panicked pretty badly when you PMed him.

In return, we'll (OpenMW Team) not focus on running Morrowind with OpenMW on non-PC platforms. This means no videos on our blog or blog posts exclusively to this effect. If we do post any information, be it video or blog post, for non-PC platforms, that it should have to do with our own content.

Would this be an example[4]? My own pet project that creates heightmaps, we then created our own demo that hopefully would become our new "Example-Suite" for OpenMW. (Scroll to the bottom) If I show this, for example, running on an Android tablet or mobile, Bethesda will be OK with this?
Yeah, this sounds reasonable.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Well done.
sandstranger

Post by sandstranger »

Last edited by sandstranger on 18 Jan 2018, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
raevol

Post by raevol »

sandstranger wrote:It is cool
8-)
raevol

Post by raevol »

Matt Grandstaff wrote:Heck, it’s pretty cool.
Damn right! Hahahaha. This guy is awesome.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

nice to see a gentelmans at the bethesda.

Anyway: i can confirm that opencs testing is lacking. It is true that we constantly find very basic bugs. Drag and drop was not working on windows -- that was my fault. I had no idea why, but it became obvious once greendog posted good test case!

So good amount of testing could really help us. And once opencs will be functional, i'm sure the design choices will prove to be excelent: so it really is all about getting to the bug free stage.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Very nice, it feels like I'm going to respect Bethesda more now after I read through this conversation.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Nice.

I kinda wish Grandstaff would've been a bit more careful with the way he handled this case in the first place, though. Sending a poorly written message telling sandstranger that OpenMW shouldn't develop for Android? He could've really been a little bit more professional. eg. finding out who OpenMW's team lead, putting some effort in his spelling or at least get a little bit informed on what the project he's talking about actually is.

It was so bad, I was convinced he was just some asshole troll who was feeding off sandstranger's stress.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I'll post more emails when I have time, not done yet.

Miscommunication happens all the time, I'm not going to fault him since he was new to OpenMW. He did what anyone would coming from the atypical Morrowind Modding world, he just happened to do it and expected that we would know who he was. ;)

I'll be honest, I've never heard of him until now and I've been an Elder Scrolls fan since Daggerfall.

Which reminds me, I need to ask him about the XLEngine... 8-)
Helv

Post by Helv »

@psi29a
You mean... you are lucius?