OpenMW 0.32.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
sandstranger

Re: OpenMW 0.32.0

Post by sandstranger »

Last edited by sandstranger on 16 Aug 2014, 07:05, edited 3 times in total.
sandstranger

Post by sandstranger »

Last edited by sandstranger on 16 Aug 2014, 07:05, edited 1 time in total.
cdoublejj

Post by cdoublejj »

Zini wrote:There are certainly some more optimisations to be made anyway. Maybe something outside of rendering. And we need to improve batching. These are definitely tasks for 1.0. But I don't expect a huge improvement for Morrowind.esm (for things like Redemption and other more advanced content the batching should make a significant difference).

As I wrote before, we will have to make a difficult decision here. The next OGRE versions should give us a significant boost without us doing much work. But these OGRE versions aren't here yet. On the other hand, if we try to optimise things on our end, we will end up with a lot of nasty stuff that may partially become redundant once we get the newer OGRE versions.

I would like to wait with this decision as long as possible, because waiting may just make it go away (by a new version of OGRE being released that proofs to be sufficient for us).
Well, they say patience is a virtue.
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

OGRE 2 is supposed to be a fair bit of a rewrite, so even when released it's going to take a while to get OpenMW's code back up to par with it.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Yes, but we have to port over to OGRE 2.0 anyway (independently of performance issues), because else we would lock us out from future OGRE improvements.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

So we only have 53 Issues on the tracker left designated as "Features" that don't mention "Editor" in the Subject line.
Rumina

Post by Rumina »

Greendogo wrote:So we only have 53 Issues on the tracker left designated as "Features" that don't mention "Editor" in the Subject line.
Statistics are fun! Let's break it down even further.

Of those (now 52) issues, 19 are on the openmw-future target version. So they are inconsequential.
6 are without a target version.
16 are on 0.32 and 11 are on 1.0.
That puts a total of 27 Feature issues are targeted for 1.0.

You can break that down a little further since Feature 47 - Magic Effects only has Feature 1122 - Light Magic Effect left to complete making it redundant.

So it's more like 26 Feature issues for 1.0, unless something else pops up. That's half as many! :D Nice work guys.
RabidSquirrel

Post by RabidSquirrel »

Any chance background loading of adjacent cells will make it into the next version?
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I think we can start preparing for a release soon. We got plenty of fixes (not as many as last time, but still decent) and some interesting features. But we need to fix the scripting regressions first. @Zini: Is there any way we can help? Would bisecting help or do you already know what needs to be done?
Zini

Post by Zini »

I'll start on it tomorrow. Shouldn't take long. I was planning to get the really cool OpenCS feature that I am currently working on included into the release, but stuff got in the way and apparently it is not going to happen. So scripting it is ...