OpenMW 0.31.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
scrawl

Re: OpenMW 0.31.0

Post by scrawl »

Dialog Merging - What is this exactly? This deals with merging in lines of dialog from mods with vanilla dialog?
Affects the expansions and mods. Each ESM and ESP file can define new dialog responses for a given topic. Dialog topics contain a linked list of responses, where responses at the beginning of the list have priority of being chosen. This means the order of the list is crucial for gameplay. When several game files modify the same dialog topic then their lists must be merged into one, carefully keeping the order intact. In previous versions, we simply added new dialogue lines to the end of the list, which caused dialog responses added by plugins to almost never appear.
Missing Creature State - What exactly were we missing? It looks like this means we keep better track of spells now? (for the player and NPCs/Creatures?)
In 0.30 save state was missing for known spells, active spell effects, AI packages, AI settings, summoned creatures, and some minor stuff.

All essential game state should now be included in save games. If you find something that isn't, raise a bug. Note this does not include actor animation state (issue #1225).
Leveled Creature Handling - Okay, so duplicate creatures don't spawn on top of each other now. Why did they in the first place?
A levelled creature reference will spawn a creature if it hasn't spawned one yet. Due to the spawning state not being in the save game, it would "forget" that it already spawned a creature, and spawn another.
Ascent

Post by Ascent »

If anyone's interested, 0.31.0 is stable so far and very smooth on my machine when built with the following flags and g++ 4.9.1 on Linux. Framerate is lowish still but that's expected: these optimizations apply to CPU-bound tasks and not 3D acceleration.

Code: Select all

-O3 -maccumulate-outgoing-args -fopenmp -floop-parallelize-all -ftree-parallelize-loops=4 -fgcse-after-reload -fgcse-las -fgcse-sm -fivopts -ftracer
And CPU-specific flags that may not work for you. Check /proc/cpuinfo for supported features. pni (prescott new instructions: sse3), cx16, abm, and similar. Run dmidecode as root to find L1 and L2 cache sizes in kilobytes (gcc by default uses small sizes, 128 and 1024 here).

Code: Select all

-m3dnow -msse3 -msse4a -mabm -mcx16 -msahf -mtune=native --param l1-cache-size=512 --param l2-cache-size=4096
Don't report bugs encountered using overly-optimized builds without duplicating them in a stock build first.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

*sheepishly*

http://youtu.be/aST2MJd2Tis

Okay so here's some very belated commentary on v0.31.0. It's not as thorough or polished as I'd like, but it's what I can offer.
It's unlisted now. Someone give it a look-see for glaring inaccuracies/mistakes?

Thanks.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Hey Weird, I've been waiting all night for that video to get done uploading but even now, hours after you uploaded it I'm still getting this when I go to the page:
This video is currently being processed.
Please check back in a few minutes.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Same here.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Me three.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

I'm experiencing the same issue.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

It worked for me. A very solid release video Weirdsexy.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Confirmed. Works now. Nice.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Great video. There is one minor inaccuracy. The Walk/Run button state is stored in the settings file, not in savegames.