OpenMW 0.30.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
BlueDust

Re: OpenMW 0.30.0

Post by BlueDust »

Sounds exciting! Will there be a possibility for a stable release at the start of summer?
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

I've not really been able to keep up with this project lately.
I'm predicting that I am going to have a hard time getting around to a release commentary whenever this next release starts rolling.
Might have to consider having a release without it or with it delayed.
Then again, I might be able to get right to it. Or not. Either way, I'm just giving a heads up.

Keep up the good works guys.
raevol

Post by raevol »

WeirdSexy, anything we can do to help the process? I'm not sure how much there is we can do, but if there's anything, we might be able to get some work done for you...
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I'm guessing just compiling a good list of things for him to talk about during release commentary would be helpful.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Greendogo wrote:I'm guessing just compiling a good list of things for him to talk about during release commentary would be helpful.
Bingo. Such a list with a brief description for the more obscure features (particularly OpenCS, I do not know it nearly as well as Morrowind) and, if you are feeling generous, an example of how such features could be used/demonstrated would be terrific. Hate to make people do my job for me, though. Thanks for any help!

I should be less busy IRL by the v0.31.0 release.
raevol

Post by raevol »

I may be able to help with that once the readme is ready... let's see what happens.
Tolchock

Post by Tolchock »

I've noticed a significant fps improvement in Ace's latest nightly build. I've gone from 16-17 fps in Seyda Neen to 22-23 fps, and from 12-14 fps in Balmora to 19-21. Awesome work! -- This does wonders for playability. Time for some bug testing... :geek:
MaddTheSane

Post by MaddTheSane »

I'm guessing an existing profiling implementation wouldn't be sufficient? OS X development tools has Instruments, which uses DTrace, that can do profiling.

Unfortunately, this is only one platform, and optimizing for one platform may degrade performance in another. Still, it could be useful as a baseline.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I suspect the areas where the platform makes a difference are fairly small. We had an issue with extremely poor file system performance on Windows before and obviously everything that comes in contact with graphics drivers is potentially problematic. We will probably get more issues with different hardware configurations (strong CPU with weak GPU vs weak CPU with strong GPU) than with different platforms.

Anyway, at least as a starting point single platform data should do fine.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Is it time for a release yet? I have a feeling that we've got enough defect fixes and completed features. Or are we waiting for some specific feature/bug fix? Or waiting for the PR's to slow down?