PR Threads and Project Pages

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
raevol

PR Threads and Project Pages

Post by raevol »

Hello-

Is anyone heading up our PR efforts, as far as posting to PR threads and outreach pages? If no one is explicitly heading it up, is anyone taking individual responsibility for specific threads/pages? If so, is this documented anywhere?

Sorry, I've been out of the PR game for a little bit, but recent posts in our 0.29.0 thread show that we should at least get some visibility into what's going on.

If we have someone in charge of this, awesome, please just check in. If we don't, is anyone interested in heading this up? Mostly we just need someone to keep track of what threads and pages we post to, who is taking the lead on each of those places, and keeping record of how updated those pages are. We have a google doc that tracks the pages, credentials, and "last update" that I can share with a responsible party, but you'll need to take ownership of keeping it updated, and perhaps copying the non-confidential information regarding what version each page is updated to to the wiki (could revamp this page to include versioning). Just some ideas.

Anyone have any info on this?
Okulo

Re: PR Threads and Project Pages

Post by Okulo »

Someone on the morrowind subreddit is doing a good job answering questions and posting updates. Even invited questions about OpenMW. Don't know who "swick_" is, but go you.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Okulo wrote:Someone on the morrowind subreddit is doing a good job answering questions and posting updates. Even invited questions about OpenMW. Don't know who "swick_" is, but go you.
Um, swick worked on this project.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

In that case I feel terrible for not remembering him and his work. Where has he run off to?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

He lives with us on IRC...
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Well yes, I've been the one updating most of the sites since Eldertroll left, with some new ones now and then. I've been quite busy this year so I'm kind of slacking off on being up-to-date with whats happening with OpenMW. I'll do the updating asap.

EDIT: It's kind of a disappointment that my work never has been noticed, even though I'm doing this for more than a year now.
EDIT: I've stopped updating the outreach page long ago because I was the only one ever visiting that page anyway.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Zedd wrote: ...
EDIT: It's kind of a disappointment that my work never has been noticed, even though I'm doing this for more than a year now.
EDIT: I've stopped updating the outreach page long ago because I was the only one ever visiting that page anyway.
I wouldn't say the work itself hasn't been noticed! I check various openmw pages around the net every once in a while and see that they are updated and that users of those sites have left recent comments about the project. So, people definitely notice it. I just had no idea who was doing it, but I do now :)

I'm not sure how I feel about the outreach page.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I was aware that there has been some degree of activity until recently (up to 0.27.0), but I don't systematically check sites that are relevant for OpenMW PR, so I have to go by the outreach page for the most part. I think it is rather important that it is updated with each new release, because it allows everyone on the team to see the PR activity level without having to google through half the internet.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Zini wrote:I think it is rather important that it is updated with each new release, because it allows everyone on the team to see the PR activity level without having to google through half the internet.
I don't think it's important to mention all sites that I've updated with OpenMW news. There are a lot of those sites that never had any response so I stopped coming back. There are also quite some sites I've put an update on once and forgot to revisit. I always make sure there are links to our website and the youtube page. Those few sites that are the backbone of our PR are well known (OpenMW.org, Youtube, ModDB, LinuxGaming, Bethesda Forums) and are mentioned on the Web Presence page of our wiki. There are more places that I've always updated, like the ogre and bullets forums, but I don't think it's very important to update the wiki for those with every release.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

@Raevol: I've noticed that I'm more and more doing the PR work for OpenMW in between other things I'm keeping my life busy with. That means that I gave up most of the updating of the wiki because I was never able to focus on the task for a long period of time. I already know that things won't get any better on the free time part, and I must confess that I'm less and less engaged in this project (Don't get me wrong, I just don't keep myself updated for every post ever made on this forum ;) ). What I'm getting at is that I'll still be doing a lot of 'spreading the news' , like I've been doing for quite some while now, but I won't be able to keep track of all I'm doing, if that's what is required.
I understand if you want things to get more organized, and I can help you by giving the links to the threads I'm keeping, but unfortunately I haven't got any time to spare for more than that.

EDIT: I'll start updating the outreach page now.
EDIT2: Updated! I know it looked like it, but I actually never missed a release for most pages ;).