Video Caption Translations Management

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
WeirdSexy

Video Caption Translations Management

Post by WeirdSexy »

I think it's great that there are people regularly writing captions for my videos in other languages. I wish for this to continue.

However, I would like to step down from having any responsibility in the management of these captions, even the English ones really.

Someone else will need to take over this role.

I will continue to supply transcripts of my videos in plain text format.
It will be the duty of the captions manager to:
  • Transform the plain text English transcripts into timed captions. YouTube has an automatic sync feature for transcripts that does a pretty good job. Of course these automatically generated timed captions could benefit greatly from some manual tweaking (this is something I have been mostly unwilling to do). There is software out there meant to assist the creation of timed captions, but I don't know anything about it.
  • Post the English captions so that they are easily obtainable by translators.
  • Alert translators that said English captions are available. (I have just been bumping the existing translations thread with the new captions. I would suggest to either get a mailing list going or to pm a list of willing translators each release and make sure that they get email notifications)
  • Collecting translated captions, uploading them to YouTube, and making sure they display correctly.
Hopefully you all can understand.
I will probably not continue to do this for more than the next release (v0.30.0) or so.

Thank you.
Last edited by WeirdSexy on 14 Mar 2014, 15:23, edited 2 times in total.
raevol

Re: Video Caption Translations Management

Post by raevol »

I can't imagine how many hours you're already putting into editing and narrating these videos... it'd be great to get you some support.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

WeirdSexy wrote:There is software out there meant to assist the creation of timed captions, but I don't know anything about it.
For Linux: Aegissub works wonders for me. Took me only an hour or so to translate and subtitle the first ten minutes of the first class of OpenYale's Introduction to the Hebrew Bible.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Time to bump this. Any volunteers?

Here's the english captions for the new video:
Spoiler: Show