OpenMW Daily Build PPA

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
maqifrnswa

OpenMW Daily Build PPA

Post by maqifrnswa »

Hello all,

With BrotherBrick's help, i've been able to set up an automated build PPA for openmw:
https://code.launchpad.net/~openmw/+arc ... enmw-daily

This is available for 12.10 (quantal), 13.10 (saucy), and 14.04 (trusty).

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:openmw/openmw-daily
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install openmw
This continuously pulls from github and builds new packages every day (if there has been an update in the past day).

NOTE: the build system doesn't use github, so it can't get the git revision. If you want to know what version you are runnning, use:

Code: Select all

$ dpkg -s openmw | grep Version
you will see something like 0.28+git{DATE}.{REV}-0~ubuntu
{DATE} tells you the date of the commit
{REV} corresponds to which git commit, which you can look up here:
https://code.launchpad.net/~openmw/openmw/trunk
for example, +git20140218.21 corresponds to the build on Feb 18, 2014 and git commit 54ea765.
raevol

Re: OpenMW Daily Build PPA

Post by raevol »

This is super exciting, great work!

Edit: We should make sure to do a blog post about this? And put a link to it on the Downloads page?
maqifrnswa

Post by maqifrnswa »

raevol wrote:We should make sure to do a blog post about this? And put a link to it on the Downloads page?
Like all new things, I think it would be good to have a little bit of testing first before putting it out in the public. Maybe let some people use it during RC testing, and if things go well advertise it more?

The original PPA will still be for stable builds and probably should be what is suggested (since BrotherBrick does a very good job seriously maintaining them) The daily ppa will be for devs or bleeding edge testers. There will probably be days where it won't build due to changes in the build system (e.g., once sirh finishes his launcher version stuff, it will probably break the build). So it does require occasional manual intervention. People in the openmw team on launchpad will get an email on those days with links to the build logs of the failed builds.
raevol

Post by raevol »

maqifrnswa wrote:Like all new things, I think it would be good to have a little bit of testing first before putting it out in the public. Maybe let some people use it during RC testing, and if things go well advertise it more?
Very true... actually to completely recant my previous statement, we might want to keep it on a more need-to-know basis so we don't get average Joe users with broken builds. Whatever is best, haha.
maqifrnswa

Post by maqifrnswa »

I think the daily builds are now at a point where we can let more people know about them:
https://launchpad.net/~openmw/+archive/openmw-daily

as long as it goes along with a disclaimer that they are intended for testing and finding bugs in the development branch. THERE WILL BE SPEARS BUGS!

Maybe update the downloads page with info and update the wiki?
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

maqifrnswa wrote:I think the daily builds are now at a point where we can let more people know about them:
https://launchpad.net/~openmw/+archive/openmw-daily

as long as it goes along with a disclaimer that they are intended for testing and finding bugs in the development branch. THERE WILL BE SPEARS BUGS!

Maybe update the downloads page with info and update the wiki?
Well, you have to put in the statement that the purpose is SPEARS! for SPEARING! bugs.
Mesons

Post by Mesons »

Perhaps this is due to my inexperience with repositories, but I can't get the daily build to work out. I downloaded the 0.30 .deb file (trusty amd64) and installed it. Then I learned about the daily builds and added the openmw-daily and openmw PPAs to my sources.list with the add-apt-repository command. Using apt-get update doesn't seem to change anything, typing apt-get install openmw does nothing because "openmw is already the newest version," and if I try to download the daily build's .deb from launchpad, Software Center says this:

A later version is already installed
Error
The Morrowind "Data Files" from the original game are required to play.

I can play the game fine using 0.30. I tried removing everything and installing the daily build over a fresh installation of Morrowind but that seems to only remove the "A later version is already installed" line in the above message from Software Center. Another line pops up, saying that the dependencies are not met. It seems to me that labeling the daily build as 0.30+... instead of 0.29+... could account for the "later version" issue I am having, but as I indicated I'm not terribly experienced. I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit.

I'd really like to play the most up-to-date version of OpenMW, for my own enjoyment and to contribute to the project. Any help would be excellent--I've already dumped a few days' worth of free time into trying to figure this out, to no avail.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Use one PPA or the other, not both.

The daily PPA doesn't bump versions and it acts more like a canary in the mine to let us know if something broke downstream (Ubuntu and/or Debian).

Feel free to use it however, just don't use it in addition to the officially ubuntu release PPA.
maqifrnswa

Post by maqifrnswa »

Sorry about that, forgot to bump the version number. Bret is right though, for sanity reasons it's best to only have one ppa turned on at a time. Even though the daily build PPA said 0.29, it really was 0.30+, like bret said the version number in the daily build PPA doesn't necessarily match the real version number of the software package.

It should be fixed now!
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

Sorry if this is already known but I'd like to inform that the PPA is not updating since 2016/04/27. Thank you.