OpenMW 0.29.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

OpenMW 0.29.0

Post by Zini »

A bit late, but anyway, here it is: The 0.29.0 thread.

We are getting very close to being feature complete. In fact I can't name anything major that is still completely missing. We have still some things to add and a lot of bugs to fix. We are also not far from the point where we have to look more seriously at optimisation, though that can wait at least one more release.

As for my own work, loading and saving is partially working now. Still dropping tons of state and lacking some parts of the GUI. I will finish the remaining core parts soon-ish. At that point I plan on taking a break from this feature. I will do a write-up on everything that is still missing and then people can pick up tasks from that as they find time for it.

I am making this move, because we are getting close to OpenMW 1.0 and there have been a lot of scripting problems piled up while I was busy with other stuff. Unless I am starting on them soon, there is a good chance that the scripting issues will delay 1.0. We can't have that.

On the OpenCS front things don't look as good. 0.28.0 had very few editor improvements. Let's hope we get done more in 0.29.0, but if I am judging the scripting situation correctly, I won't be able to contribute much to that.
raevol

Re: OpenMW 0.29.0

Post by raevol »

I'm super excited for this release! Let's keep the momentum going!
FreeLikeGNU

Post by FreeLikeGNU »

I'm playing Morrowind for the first time in OpenMW! I've been following this project for a while and have tried many of the releases and compiled from code as well. It's really great to see an FOSS engine for the Elder Scrolls because as a resource for artists, storytellers and programmers it will do much to enrich TES narrative for everyone. I've seen amazing things that many talented people have done to mod TES games without access to the source and now there is a fully open engine for all of us to benefit from!!!!
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Sorry if I've missed something that was written somewhere, but are we planning including game loading/saving (that saves the player's exact position)? If we are, it would be pretty nice for making comparison shots for things like vanilla textures vs vanilla textures with texture maps applied and so forth.

Also: http://youtu.be/kDEOII4M2sE
Zini

Post by Zini »

That feature is already implemented.
TorbenC

Post by TorbenC »

WeirdSexy wrote:Also: http://youtu.be/kDEOII4M2sE
I noticed this issue when making AI Wander, the problem is that the collision boxes for NPCs are supposed to be cylindrical, or at least that is what I picked up on from talking to Chris at the time (iirc).

In Morrowind, NPCs will turn about 15 degrees to the right when they crash into an object, but I believe Chris said this will happen automatically if their collision boxes are cylinders instead of boxes.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Time to slowly warm up for the 0.29.0 release.

I want to do at least some more script work (on a roll right now).

And the problems with the new version handling (launcher) should be addressed, if possible.

Getting the missing Load/Save GUI elements in would be nice, but we can easily release without them.

It would also be nice, if we could fill in at least some of the missing save features, let's say creature and NPC stats (maybe without the AI stuff). That would make OpenMW more or less playable. Its not a difficult task (plenty examples in the code on how to do it), but its a bit of work and since we should go into RC-phase soon-ish, this needs to be done somewhat quickly. Any takers?

Edit: If someone wants to add some of the missing script instructions that would also be nice. Right now I am adding only dummy implementations that do nothing.
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

Zini, although the Save function is implemented, after saving a file is created but is no more detected after restarting OpenMW. Is this behavior expected because unimplemented features?
Tested with OpenMW-nightly-8824af3-win64 from 12/Fev/2014 and the vanilla masters Esms.
Zini

Post by Zini »

That works here. Any more details?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

The OpenCS in the 8824af3 nightly is crashing.

Saving in the same build of OpenMW crashed for me (I pushed "Enter" after entering the save name, instead of pushing the button, if that hasn't been implemented yet).
Edit: Didn't work pushing the button either. The console didn't show anything particularly interesting:
Spoiler: Show