Moving openmw off zinis github

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
wheybags

Moving openmw off zinis github

Post by wheybags »

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/ ... of/cdrkef6

:S
apparently, forks do not show up in searches on github.
I'm proposing that we make an openmw group, with the repo there, and that we make it an original repo there (ie, just make a new repo and push to it, intead of forking).
We can keep the current system where only zini pushes directly, but maybe add a few other core developers to the group too, so we can deal with another untimely internet outage :P
Zini

Re: Moving openmw off zinis github

Post by Zini »

Sorry, but pointless. There are plenty of tools to navigate the network of OpenMW repositories and searches will usually bring up my repository, except github searches across all repositories indeed. Basically, don't care.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I like the idea of an openmw group, because we could add additional repositories there (e.g. for forum theme, openCS manual sources, etc) and have them all easily visible. And yeah, I guess it would fix the github search problem.
And since you already brought it up, I wouldn't mind getting push access for trivial changes.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

scrawl wrote:I like the idea of an openmw group, because we could add additional repositories there (e.g. for forum theme, openCS manual sources, etc) and have them all easily visible. And yeah, I guess it would fix the github search problem.
And since you already brought it up, I wouldn't mind getting push access for trivial changes.
+1, yeah, it would be good to put themes and manual there.
Zini

Post by Zini »

The manual is part of the main repository already and I would strongly prefer not to change the existing workflow. So far it has worked very well for us. We are by no means big enough that an organisation (I assume that is what you mean by group) becomes necessary or even helpful.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I think the 193 forks should lead the curious to look at https://github.com/korslund/openmw/network where they'll see zinnschlag in a prominent place.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Zini wrote:The manual is part of the main repository
Really? Where? I can't find it.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Okay, it is actually not. The manual is in sirherrbatka's fork. But that is only because someone was sneaking the manual into the 0.27.0 release and forgot to send me a pull request. Not looking at anyone ...
corristo

Post by corristo »

Actually moving to organization makes some sense. Push access for core contributors was mentioned already. Also organization can include all related repos in one place, and this repos won't depend on any particular developer. For example, my repo with OS X dependencies could live in organization too.

And IMO organization is better from the PR perspective than bunch of repos around github.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Time to revisit this topic again. I'm here to persuade you, Zini, to get on-board with the Github OpenMW organization.

The reason I'm bringing this up again is because I just found out that we can host binaries on Github again.
The Release Workflow: https://github.com/blog/1547-release-your-software
Obviously you can do this on your project, since you are the defacto repo, but I doubt you want handle releases.

What I suggest is the following:
1) Create an OpenMW organization
2) Have Nicolay move his OpenMW project to the new OpenMW organization
3) Make you (Zini) the admin of the project
4) Do a MASSIVE pull from Zini's repo to the OpenMW repo to catch it up to date
5) Setup collaborators as necessary to the new OpenMW repo, maybe scrawl and/or others to handle releases and other details.

Optional (debatable?):
* We can port our wiki over to github, one less moving part
* Use github's issue/milestone tracking system instead of current one (we can port the issues)

The main benefit here is that we finally unite the original repo with Zini's repo, making it finally search-able in google and github. We also get the benefit of hosting our binaries, so when someone tags a release, we automatically get the sources and we can add a summary (our changelog?) plus binaries. This solves our hosting problems.

Our only roadblock is that there is currently someone with the name OpenMW, who joined in 2012 and hasn't done much of anything lately. We're trying to contact this person and ask github for help on this.

What do you think Zini?