Moving openmw off zinis github

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

Re: Moving openmw off zinis github

Post by Zini »

Sounds like a lot of effort for almost nothing (in particular the optional/debatable part). The ability to host binaries sounds useful though. I think we tried something similar immediately after I took over, but without organisations. Instead we tried to assign a collaborator for my repository and that did not work.

I still dislike the idea and we would need to look very carefully at the workflow. Can we have a go at it after the release? It seems we already have enough trouble right now and I would prefer not to get into a substantial reorganization in the middle of that.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Zini wrote:I still dislike the idea and we would need to look very carefully at the workflow. Can we have a go at it after the release? It seems we already have enough trouble right now and I would prefer not to get into a substantial reorganization in the middle of that.
Certainly, there is no "rush" to to do this, so we can take our time to do this right. Let us get OpenMW-0.29 out the way first.

Progress thus far and ideas:

I've already secured the OpenMW organization on github. A quick email to github help about the name squatter and they replied in under 30 minutes. That is pretty good.

Next step is to convince Nicolay to move his repo over. Then we pull in your "master" repo to catch everything up.

As for workflow, I thought about this:
We assign you and Nicolay (and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Scrawl and Kcat) as "Core", those with read and write access to OpenMW. That is up to you, but they are good about asking before sending pull requests, but usually they get accepted into your repo without much fuss.

I assigned Lgro and yourself as admins of the Organization. Possible inclusion here would be raevol as he is the release manager, so updating the tagged releases with binaries would a great idea.

Everyone else who has ever committed anything gets in as 'Member', totally useless group but I thought they should be at least honoured for their contribution.

I'll be abdicating the owner/admin thing once we are sure things are as it should be, unless you think otherwise.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Just want to make a note that Google Code file hosting has ended, so we do need a new home for release files!
Zini

Post by Zini »

@BrotherBrick: Can't comment on that right now, because I don't fully understand how github orginisations work. Will have to do a bit of reading up, I guess.
Gez

Post by Gez »

BrotherBrick wrote: * We can port our wiki over to github, one less moving part
* Use github's issue/milestone tracking system instead of current one (we can port the issues)
Wiki: I think it's a bad idea. Github's wiki functionality is great if you don't have a wiki already and don't care to set one up, but with a working MediaWiki setup, moving to Github wiki would be a downgrade. For instance, I'm not aware Github wikis can have templates, nor do they seem to have all the features found here which are very handy for maintenance purposes. If anything, the wiki on GitHub should just have the main page cloning that of the official OpenMW wiki, with all the links leading to the OpenMW wiki.

I won't comment on the tracker, as I'm less familiar with dealing with them. The Github issue tracker seems to work well enough and its integration with the repository is quite handy sometimes, but maybe it lacks some features that the current system offers.
corristo

Post by corristo »

Could someone give me a admin rights in organisation? I'd like to move my Homebrew tap to organisation.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

corristo wrote:Could someone give me a admin rights in organisation? I'd like to move my Homebrew tap to organisation.
Done and done... you're now a member of Core.
corristo

Post by corristo »

@BrotherBrick

Github still says I haven't enough privileges to move my repo to organization. Could you make me an owner so I can transfer ownership, and then make me just member with push access to that repo?
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Try again? I just set Core to admin...
corristo

Post by corristo »

Thanks, done