i like this (Development Status graph)

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
cdoublejj

i like this (Development Status graph)

Post by cdoublejj »

http://www.lexaloffle.com/voxatron.php?page=dev

do you think OMW could ever have anything like that?
Ace (SWE)

Re: i like this (Development Status graph)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Something like this maybe?
https://bugs.openmw.org/projects/openmw/roadmap

Though I've got to say that the Voxatron page gives less information, but in a more visually pleasing way.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Pretty much ditto what Ace said.

It might have been something nice to have from the beginning, but we are too close to v1.0 to worry about something like that now, I think.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

Such graphs can give a nice rough overview of a project's progress, but there is several problems associated: you would need someone to update the graph regularly, you would need some way to quantify progress, and even if you overcome those two hurdles, it still won't mean much. If I say that AI is 90% done, what exactly does that mean? Do you measure progress by amount of features implemented? By the amount of issues? How do you weigh features and issues?

These graphs really only looks nice when you want a rough overview of how usable the project is overall, but to that end you might as well just write a few sentences and include a list of missing and incomplete features. Case in point, take a look at the following:
Nuvie Ultima 6 progress
The list is outdated and even if it wasn't, it doesn't say anything about how playable the project is.
dwcoates

Post by dwcoates »

HiPhish wrote:Such graphs can give a nice rough overview of a project's progress, but there is several problems associated: you would need someone to update the graph regularly, you would need some way to quantify progress, and even if you overcome those two hurdles, it still won't mean much. If I say that AI is 90% done, what exactly does that mean? Do you measure progress by amount of features implemented? By the amount of issues? How do you weigh features and issues?

These graphs really only looks nice when you want a rough overview of how usable the project is overall, but to that end you might as well just write a few sentences and include a list of missing and incomplete features. Case in point, take a look at the following:
Nuvie Ultima 6 progress
The list is outdated and even if it wasn't, it doesn't say anything about how playable the project is.
I think the main (only) advantage is that it's friendly to the casual observer/non-developer. So I agree with you, but I think such a set up is still useful as a promotional tool