OpenMW 0.28.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

OpenMW 0.28.0

Post by Zini »

Things are starting to get interesting. And thin on the OpenMW side (not that many tasks left).

As usual, I will highlight the important tasks:

We are accumulating more an more bugs. No point in listing them here. Some fixing effort would be nice.

* Loading/Saving

Obviously a highly anticipated feature. I will try to get it at least roughly going for 0.28.0. No promise though. Still very busy with OpenCS and this feature is nasty (needs substantial resource and some design decisions).

* Precipitation/Fog-Type Weather Elements
* http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/452
* Invisibility/Chameleon magic effects

These are the last three missing graphics features (not counting most magic effect graphics; we are not ready for that).

* Ranged Combat
* Sneaking Skill

The last to missing non-magic skills. Getting them done would be another major milestone.

* Implement NIF record NiFlipController
* Implement NIF record NiFogProperty

The number of unimplemented NIF features has grown, unfortunately. I would have preferred movement into the opposite direction.

And then there is the usual editor stuff. To much to list it all. There are a few issues that depend on other issues, but most of it can be done right away.

I made some changes to how OpenCS is handled on the tracker. So far I did the bulk of my work without leaving traces on the tracker. But since OpenCS is now released and we are listing editor-related issues as part of the roadmap I will use issue tracking from now on. I also added all major remaining OpenCS issues to the tracker (quite possible that I missed some).

For 0.28.0 let's try to get back to the monthly release scheme. So, 3-4 weeks for development?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW 0.28.0

Post by psi29a »

We hit a snag on packaging for Debian in regard to the obliviontt.zip and its license.

Specifically:
Please do not modify and redistribute the fonts without my permission.
You may NOT sell any of these fonts under any circumstances. This
includes putting them on compilation font CDs for sale, putting them
in a "members only" pay-area of a website, or any other means of
financial gain connected in ANY way with the redistribution of any of
these fonts.
1) do we have dongle's express permission to redistribute?
2) this is not compatible with Debian, Ubuntu and other distributions that do sell CD/DVDs.
3) do we use this package and can we get rid of it (so that it is no longer in our tarball releases)?
maqifrnswa

Post by maqifrnswa »

BrotherBrick wrote:We hit a snag on packaging for Debian in regard to the obliviontt.zip and its license.

Specifically:
Please do not modify and redistribute the fonts without my permission.
You may NOT sell any of these fonts under any circumstances. This
includes putting them on compilation font CDs for sale, putting them
in a "members only" pay-area of a website, or any other means of
financial gain connected in ANY way with the redistribution of any of
these fonts.
1) do we have dongle's express permission to redistribute?
2) this is not compatible with Debian, Ubuntu and other distributions that do sell CD/DVDs.
3) do we use this package and can we get rid of it (so that it is no longer in our tarball releases)?
more info: You have permission to redistribute as long as you don't modify. Debian and Ubuntu requires that all software is modifiable and that the license propagates to whomever downloads/modifies the code; that is the problem with that license and the Debian/Ubuntu archives.

This is tough, given that it is based on proprietary game content. The licensing rules for ubuntu and debian are:
http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I think you misinterpreted the license. It says you aren't allowed to modify and redistribute without his permission.

Anyway, we now use morrowind's daedric font, so Obliviontt.zip can be deleted.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

scrawl wrote:I think you misinterpreted the license. It says you aren't allowed to modify and redistribute without his permission.

You may be right, natural language has a funny way of being interpreted. The second stipulation about 'NOT' selling is an absolute deal breaker, as that is done by just about every distribution of *nix out there.

I'm glad that this is a non-issue however and can be removed. :)
maqifrnswa

Post by maqifrnswa »

scrawl wrote:I think you misinterpreted the license. It says you aren't allowed to modify and redistribute without his permission.

I know it's resolved, I wanted to make sure this point is clear: saying that you aren't allowed to modify and redistribute without permission is against Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc., licensing guidelines.

So it's safe for openmw to do, but not safe for those distributions to do. The problem was that it doesn't allow modification.

just FYI at this point
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

BrotherBrick wrote:We hit a snag on packaging for Debian in regard to the obliviontt.zip and its license.
Why not use the Daedric font Georg Duffner made for us. I would need to update the readme but it is licensed under the SIL OFL.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

pvdk wrote:
Why not use the Daedric font Georg Duffner made for us. I would need to update the readme but it is licensed under the SIL OFL.
No longer an issue, obliviontt.zip is removed as we stopped using it anyway. It is a non-issue now. If modders want better fonts, they can add Georg's Daedric font. If he wants, we can push this font up to debian as well and make it package that OpenMW recommends.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Master now contains all the 0.27.0 changes. If you are getting any crashes when running openmw directly, please make sure to re-run the launcher at least once.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Some additions to the original posting. Here are some bugs that are particularly critical. If someone can contribute anything to fixing them, that would be highly welcome:

* OpenCS doesn't launch because it thinks its already started
* Launcher writing merged openmw.cfg files