OpenCS manual

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
User avatar
Okulo
Posts: 671
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 16:11

Re: OpenCS manual

Post by Okulo » 30 Jul 2014, 17:55

Okulo wrote:
Zini wrote:But the tables already have a build in search-function. Basically all you have to do is have the table selected and then type rat. That will make the cursor jump to the first ID that starts with "rat".
See, yeah, that's a pretty okay system. But these examples need to be written out, I think. Or perhaps explained in a video tutorial, or something. I'll probably do that unofficially one day anyway.
By the way, I just tried this. It supposed to only work on the ID column?

User avatar
Zini
Posts: 5536
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 15:16

Re: OpenCS manual

Post by Zini » 30 Jul 2014, 18:23

Yes.

User avatar
crysthala
Posts: 32
Joined: 23 Jul 2014, 23:09
Location: Balmora

Re: OpenCS manual

Post by crysthala » 05 Aug 2014, 02:22

Zini wrote:Okay, but we also need to explain how these different refereceable types work and what they can do. Their data fields don't tell the whole story.
You raise a good point. Uh, I would love to pop in and see if there's somewhere convenient we could add that, but... the page seems to be gone? Apparently it was deleted.

...

Shit.

User avatar
WeirdSexy
Posts: 610
Joined: 15 Sep 2011, 18:50
Location: USA

Re: OpenCS manual

Post by WeirdSexy » 05 Aug 2014, 03:45

I am not territorial with respect to making videos for the community. It'd be awesome if some other people want to produce video tutorials and such for the youtube channel (or on their own channel). Still, I am also willing (maybe even eager :) ) to produce tutorial videos as well. However,
  • I have never really been a modder in the past. It will be hard for me to come up with good examples of common tasks to demonstrate. I might have a hard time completing common tasks.
  • I am not very familiar with the original CS. I not someone who knows why the CS was so awful (according to some on these forums). I do not know all the reasons why opencs is supposed to be so much better.
  • Yes, spare time has become more of an issue for me recently. As long as I'd not be held to a real schedule, I could still get videos out here and there.
Basically, I'd need alot of help writing scripts and even just learning OpenCS myself.

User avatar
crysthala
Posts: 32
Joined: 23 Jul 2014, 23:09
Location: Balmora

Re: OpenCS manual

Post by crysthala » 05 Aug 2014, 04:33

I have an ingenious idea. WeirdSexy, you say you don't know much about the CS, but you do know about making videos. I know a bit about the CS, but I've never done videos for public consumption before. Perhaps we could join forces? :twisted:

The OpenCS isn't really massively functional just yet, as a lot of things aren't rendered and it can't save properly, but, just as an idea, I could try doing a tutorial on how to navigate and access different basic features, then we'll see if you can follow it. I say "you" specifically because you'll be able to see if a beginning user finds it helpful, maybe suggest things I should go more or less in-depth on, and, with your Hardcore Video Skillz, you could suggest improvements for the composition/editing of the actual video. If this sounds like a good idea, that is. If it's a terrible idea, simply throw a fishy stick at the noob and move along.

EDIT: It's just occurred to me that you're apparently running Linux, where I'm on Windows 7. Hmmmmm. Are the controls significantly different between the two? :?

User avatar
Okulo
Posts: 671
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 16:11

Re: OpenCS manual

Post by Okulo » 05 Aug 2014, 06:36

Zini wrote:Yes.
Well shit. So what's the solution for the 'name' column or any other column for that matter? How would I easily find, say, the Limeware Platter? (You know, the people always steal from the Census and Excise Office.)

User avatar
Zini
Posts: 5536
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 15:16

Re: OpenCS manual

Post by Zini » 05 Aug 2014, 08:39

crysthala wrote:
Zini wrote:Okay, but we also need to explain how these different refereceable types work and what they can do. Their data fields don't tell the whole story.
You raise a good point. Uh, I would love to pop in and see if there's somewhere convenient we could add that, but... the page seems to be gone? Apparently it was deleted.

...

Shit.
Odd. Database issue maybe? @lgro?

User avatar
Zini
Posts: 5536
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 15:16

Re: OpenCS manual

Post by Zini » 05 Aug 2014, 08:41

Okulo wrote:
Zini wrote:Yes.
Well shit. So what's the solution for the 'name' column or any other column for that matter? How would I easily find, say, the Limeware Platter? (You know, the people always steal from the Census and Excise Office.)
Well, you could go over the ID or just use the filter. Or use the project-wide search function, which I didn't get around to implement yet.

User avatar
WeirdSexy
Posts: 610
Joined: 15 Sep 2011, 18:50
Location: USA

Re: OpenCS manual

Post by WeirdSexy » 05 Aug 2014, 11:38

crysthala wrote:I have an ingenious idea. WeirdSexy, you say you don't know much about the CS, but you do know about making videos. I know a bit about the CS, but I've never done videos for public consumption before. Perhaps we could join forces? :twisted:

The OpenCS isn't really massively functional just yet, as a lot of things aren't rendered and it can't save properly, but, just as an idea, I could try doing a tutorial on how to navigate and access different basic features, then we'll see if you can follow it. I say "you" specifically because you'll be able to see if a beginning user finds it helpful, maybe suggest things I should go more or less in-depth on, and, with your Hardcore Video Skillz, you could suggest improvements for the composition/editing of the actual video. If this sounds like a good idea, that is. If it's a terrible idea, simply throw a fishy stick at the noob and move along.

EDIT: It's just occurred to me that you're apparently running Linux, where I'm on Windows 7. Hmmmmm. Are the controls significantly different between the two? :?
Hey, I'm all for collaboration. I can definitely review videos you would make. I was imagining that we would hold off on making video tutorials, meant for public consumption, until opencs hits a more fully-functional 'v1.0' state. I think until then, it's much more important that the text manual and/or wiki get properly fleshed out.

I don't think there's any difference in controls between Windows and Linux. I've run it in Windows as well.

User avatar
MiroslavR
Posts: 156
Joined: 12 Feb 2014, 17:45

Re: OpenCS manual

Post by MiroslavR » 05 Aug 2014, 12:28

Zini wrote:Odd. Database issue maybe? @lgro?
Nope, crysthala apparently created a new article on MediaWiki's wiki instead of our wiki, and they removed it.

Post Reply