OpenCS manual

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

Re: OpenCS manual

Post by Zini »

Well, there is still this issue, that I hadn't the time to tackle yet.

But the tables already have a build in search-function. Basically all you have to do is have the table selected and then type rat. That will make the cursor jump to the first ID that starts with "rat".
crysthala

Post by crysthala »

Having a bit of a dental emergency, so I'll have to finish it later, but I've started reorganizing the wiki list based on what we're saying here. Some topics that were more important/more general than I had anticipated now have their own sections and some have been merged to keep from being redundant. There is a hole in my frigging tooth. I will get back to you guys later.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Abot, from the Bethesda forums, requested that I ask the CS manual maintainer to add something about Vanilla Morrowind esm backwards compatibility. I hope I didn't lead him astray with incorrect information. Here was our conversation:
Abot wrote:
Greendogo wrote:
Abot wrote:I am mainly concerned with support for standard .esm dependence in case I want to create a mod compatible with standard Morrowind engine, as I've not been able to find the section covering this aspect in the current manual.
quoting current OpenCS manual
OpenMW does not support creating Vanilla Morrowind's .esm format. OpenMW and OpenCS will still load it, but the idea is that you can use content created in both the vanilla CS and OpenCS in OpenMW, but not the other way around.

This is good because it decreases complexity and allows for the developers to more easily add new game functionality. Besides Vanilla's engine is, and will continue to become increasingly, outdated.
Fine. May I suggest adding this info to the Open CS manual?
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Greendogo wrote:Abot, from the Bethesda forums, requested that I ask the CS manual maintainer to add something about Vanilla Morrowind esm backwards compatibility. I hope I didn't lead him astray with incorrect information. Here was our conversation:
Abot wrote:
Greendogo wrote:
Abot wrote:I am mainly concerned with support for standard .esm dependence in case I want to create a mod compatible with standard Morrowind engine, as I've not been able to find the section covering this aspect in the current manual.
quoting current OpenCS manual
OpenMW does not support creating Vanilla Morrowind's .esm format. OpenMW and OpenCS will still load it, but the idea is that you can use content created in both the vanilla CS and OpenCS in OpenMW, but not the other way around.

This is good because it decreases complexity and allows for the developers to more easily add new game functionality. Besides Vanilla's engine is, and will continue to become increasingly, outdated.
Fine. May I suggest adding this info to the Open CS manual?
Nope, I believe that appears to be correct.

People will be dragged kicking and screaming into the present yet. I can see vast majority of people switching over to OpenMW once its stable meaning the original will lose most of its modding support.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Zini wrote:But the tables already have a build in search-function. Basically all you have to do is have the table selected and then type rat. That will make the cursor jump to the first ID that starts with "rat".
See, yeah, that's a pretty okay system. But these examples need to be written out, I think. Or perhaps explained in a video tutorial, or something. I'll probably do that unofficially one day anyway.
Tarius wrote:People will be dragged kicking and screaming into the present yet. I can see vast majority of people switching over to OpenMW once its stable meaning the original will lose most of its modding support.
I really like this attitude. It's not like people will lose anything good.
Zini

Post by Zini »

@Greendogo: Mostly correct. In theory you should be able to turn an .omwgame/.omwaddon file into an .esm /.esp file, if you rename it, load it into TES-CS and hit compile all and save. Of course this assumes the .omwgame/.omwaddon files doesn't use anything that isn't available in vanilla MW. However I haven't tested this yet and it certainly doesn't have a high priority.
See, yeah, that's a pretty okay system. But these examples need to be written out, I think. Or perhaps explained in a video tutorial, or something. I'll probably do that unofficially one day anyway.
Actually, it needs to be explained in a tooltip and in the manual. And if we can get WeirdSexy to do some video tutorials on OpenCS (or someone else, if he hasn't time for it) I would be most thrilled.

@crysthala: As mentioned above we need to add the search feature to the table documentation. And we also need a section about namespaces (not fully supported yet, but already in use in OpenCS).
crysthala

Post by crysthala »

Just went nuts on the feature list; everything I personally know about is now on it. A few questions:

1. Does the "edit record" item in the context menu for journal infos actually do something? I've pressed it but the subview's not opening. Have I found an unimplemented feature or a bug?

2. Does the organization of the list look good? Can you find the section you need and add stuff I missed easily?

3. Importantly, are you programmers willing to add stuff yourselves? I don't understand coder jargon (what is a node? we just don't know) and am likely to miss things even if I keep up with every post on the dev forums. I had intended that you guys would add things to the list yourselves after you finished coding something in/updating the git, which to my mind is the most efficient way of doing it.

Also: I've never done tutorial videos before, but I'm willing to try doing some introductory tutorials for the 1.0 release, if the OpenCS is going to be released as fully-functional alongside it. I have Fraps, Vegas Movie Studio, and a studio mic, and I'm not afraid to use 'em. :D
Zini

Post by Zini »

1. Bug. Please file a report on the tracker.

2. Looks good. I think you are missing some refereceable types though.

3. Sure. I can update the list when new features are finished. Anyway, if something is unclear because it is too technical you can always ask on the forum or send me a PM.
crysthala

Post by crysthala »

Things without subheadings in Referenceables/Referenceable Editing aren't listed because all of their fields are covered in "Common Referenceable Fields." In keeping with the continuing theme of not repeating ourselves, that heading covers things common to many referenceables so we don't have to explain them over and over.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Okay, but we also need to explain how these different refereceable types work and what they can do. Their data fields don't tell the whole story.