What about a fundraising indiegogo campaign?

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Ferk

What about a fundraising indiegogo campaign?

Post by Ferk »

The roguelike Cataclysm: DDA, a month ago finished a successful campaign to hire a full-time programmer.

The RTS game 0 A.D. recently started also a campaign which is not looking bad. Even if the goal was not met they would still get some money that they could use to hire also another full-time programmer.

I was thinking that a project like OpenMW could also benefit a lot from a fundraising. I have the impression that development is not as fast as it could be and that some help would speed it up. I just wanted to start this thread in the suggestions section to see what your opinion is.

Of course, there should be detailed plans regarding where this money will be going and who will be receiving payment. And that everyone on the development team understands and supports those plans.

Also, do you think there could be problems with Bethesda if they saw someone is getting paid while working in a kinda "derived" version of their game?
pvdk

Re: What about a fundraising indiegogo campaign?

Post by pvdk »

This has been discussed extensively before here on these forums, and the consensus is that we don't want and don't need any money.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Ferk wrote:Also, do you think there could be problems with Bethesda if they saw someone is getting paid while working in a kinda "derived" version of their game?
Yes, that's why we don't do it.

Secondarily, there's also that by accepting money, it would put extra work on us to manage that money properly. Then all the inevitable complaints about the money not being managed correctly (whether we do or not, simply because we're not doing it the way they want; nothing gets people more fired up than when money's involved).
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Can i just close and pin this topic, please?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Please do. No one wants to go over this every month.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Done.