OpenMW Nightly builds

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Ace (SWE)

Re: OpenMW Nightly builds

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Hopefully I'll have time to switch my builds over to MyGUI 3.2.1 some time tomorrow, already started some of the work.
Thanks for reminding me Scrawl.
Xelasarg

Post by Xelasarg »

Seems like critical strikes don't work anymore. No matter what I do, my character only does normal damage. I'm playing sort of a sniper thief, so that's a major drawback in combat for me. And I can't revert back to official 0.31 because the save games are not backwards compatible. :(
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

"sniper thief" sounds like you are using ranged weapons? One change I made to combat was that ranged weapons can no longer crit, which is vanilla morrowind behaviour according to Hrnchamd:
Note that projectile attacks cannot crit
https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... Comments_4
Xelasarg

Post by Xelasarg »

Ah, so that rules out a bug on my side, thanks for clarification.
I wasn't quite sure if ranged critical hits were possible in MW (it's been too long...), I just googled and found this on UESP (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Stealth): "The critical damage that applies to a hit done while undetected is 4x damage with a melee weapon and 1.5x damage with a ranged weapon." Guess I'll try vanilla MW and see how it goes.

But there's also good news: performance seems to have increased slightly, and OpenMW doesn't freeze/hang as badly as it used to. :)
Xelasarg

Post by Xelasarg »

Right, quick check: I started a new game in vanilla MW, cheated sneak & marksman to 100, and slaughtered some mud-crabs. With melee weapons (dagger), the game echoed "critical hit", and the crab died with one hit.
Then I equipped my bow and tried the same. Without sneak, the crabs survived my first attack with about 20% health. But when I fired the bow in sneak mode, they died instantly - even though MW did not tell me I had landed a critical hit (tried this about 10 times to make sure). So I guess that's where the x1.5 multiplier applies: not quite critical, but cowardly out of the shadows, and therefore at least 50% more lethal.

Now, OpenMW doesn't seem to apply any multiplier, damage is just the same whether I sneak or not. I must admit though, that critical damage was extremely high before, so I guess the multiplier was x4, hence the "critical hit" message even with ranged weapons. That did indeed feel oddly balanced, as if my long bow were a rocket launcher... 8-)
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

As it turns out, it's hard to work on upgrading dependencies when I only have around 6 hours of free time. And most of those hours are spent sleeping.

I'll try to get the switch done before I have to build 0.23.0 though...
raevol

Post by raevol »

@Ace any help anyone can provide?
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Well, I have to set up builds for the new MyGUI repo (Switched to the Git from SVN), build those for both debug and release as 32 and 64, on both VS 2010 and 2013. And then I have to redo the OpenMW build environments to use the new MyGUI repo.

Not hard at all, it's just a matter of build times and such. So should only take a few hours, but it needs to be a few hours of me being at my computer and not at the university. And these weeks are quite full with welcoming committee work for me, not that many hours to use.

So to answer your question raevol; hopefully not, since that would mean someone else has physical access to my computer, and that would be Bad(tm).

Will be done before next week though, since my weekend is free.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Ace (SWE) wrote:that would mean someone else has physical access to my computer, and that would be Bad(tm).
:D
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

@Xelasarg- This thread is not a support thread. Please post in the "Support" forum if you need further help.