OpenMW Nightly builds

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Ace (SWE)

Re: OpenMW Nightly builds

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Got a report about them being broken a week ago, haven't had time to look into the issue yet though.

Hopefully I'll have them back working tomorrow at the latest (So two nightlies from now)

Edit:

Had a look and just realized exactly why it's broken.

There's a fix in the openmw-43 branch, but until that's merged into master the nightlies will remain broken, sorry. Don't have the time to sit and cherry pick fixes at the moment.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

EDIT: This was written before I realised that Ace had already replied, so is probably useless and not worth reading. I'm not deleting it as I think post removal is what screws up the 'unread posts' feature for me.

I noticed it a few days ago and messaged Ace. He said he'd take a look, but I'm not sure if he has yet.

For future reference, the first post says to message Ace if it looks like these are broken.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

There's a fix in the openmw-43 branch, but until that's merged into master
ididit :D
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Well, the Windows fall update finally hit me even though I'd been avoiding it as best as I could, and during that it managed to completely destroy its own NTFS partition.
I probably won't have time to rebuild my Windows setup to the point where I'll be able to resume the nightly builds until January at the latest, sorry.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Ace (SWE) wrote: 21 Dec 2017, 01:04 Well, the Windows fall update finally hit me even though I'd been avoiding it as best as I could, and during that it managed to completely destroy its own NTFS partition.
I probably won't have time to rebuild my Windows setup to the point where I'll be able to resume the nightly builds until January at the latest, sorry.
Maybe you could look into this instead https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/4015 (I'm stuffed with work too)

Then we would be immune to these windws shenanigans :D
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

That issue report already has an assignee, which is potentially putting people off working on it. If someone actually implemented it and created a PR, a more in-depth discussion could probably start.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

The risk with AppVeyor is that it uses multiple unsafe build methods to try and squeeze down the build time as far as possible, so they'd get completely unoptimized nightly builds that are built using - the otherwise basically completely unused - unity builds, meaning issues might crop up that won't exist for anyone else.
And turning those builds up to do regular release builds could mean that they'd hit the build time ceiling again, which would ruin the whole CI aspect of using AppVeyor.

If someone has the time and patience to sit down and run through the CI configuration, get AppVeyor to generate proper release builds, as well as pulling in the correct VC redist for the packaging, and managing to squeeze in the NSIS build time into the CI step as well, then I don't think anyone would complain in the slightest.
Should technically be possible, at least now that AppVeyor have allocated more powerful build machines for projects, though it might be that we'll have to split the build down into multiple projects and/or skip packaging entirely - instead just zip the release folder and push that.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 16:14 That issue report already has an assignee, which is potentially putting people off working on it. If someone actually implemented it and created a PR, a more in-depth discussion could probably start.
I would love to be removed as the assignee as I don't have the time atm:/
I can't seem to find a way to edit the issue?
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Lenny wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 21:28 I would love to be removed as the assignee as I don't have the time atm:/
I can't seem to find a way to edit the issue?
I went ahead and removed you.
SchvanysEpitome

Post by SchvanysEpitome »

So nightly builds are still temporarily down? Will you let us know when they are back up?