Getting OpenMW into Debian and Ubuntu.

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Getting OpenMW into Debian and Ubuntu.

Post by psi29a »

Since 1.0 is within sight, we should also discuss getting OpenMW into Debian and Ubuntu. Getting it into Debian automatically means also being in Ubuntu, so thanks to Scott Howard, we have our 'in' there.

All packages necessary to build OpenMW are now currently in Debian (Wheezy) Main and in Ubuntu (Saucy Salamander). Main is for packages which follow the DFSG (licensiing rules) and function depending only on other packages in Main. Contrib is for packages that follow the DFSG, but require packages and content not in Main.

OpenMW would be in "Contrib" because it cannot function without content such as Morrowind. Now if we could finally get the Example-Suite out the door or even just "usable enough" to show off what OpenMW can do, then we can get OpenMW into main.

Does anyone know of any TC or content that can run without Morrowind.esm? If not, then it is up to us to create something that can.
sirherrbatka

Re: Getting OpenMW into Debian and Ubuntu.

Post by sirherrbatka »

Without morrowind.esm? sure. Without morrowind data (meshes, textures) ─ no.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

sirherrbatka wrote:Without morrowind.esm? sure. Without morrowind data (meshes, textures) ─ no.
I'll restate that, shouldn't have anything to do with Morrowind (anything in Data Files). :)

We should make it a target to have something usable, even if bare-bones.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

We have the Crypt, a single interior cell made by PVDK two or three years ago. If it's alright that we're going to completely replace it later, I could polish that up for you, just so we have something. The polishing is sure to cover some things that need doing for the actual Example Suite, anyways.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

It doesn't have to be much or very good... it just has to be something that OpenMW can use to run. This qualifies both OpenMW and Example-Suite to go in Main. :)

So long as it doesn't require anything from Zenimax or Bethesda.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

that would be good.
taknamay

Post by taknamay »

Perhaps there can be a collaborative project to replace the data files? I would sign up for that :)
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

From the standpoint of an ubuntu user (who hates microsoft and only has a windowz machine for MW), this is good news!
As for making it so openMW is not reliant on any bethesda owned content, I thought that was the point of the example suite. I haven't poked around much in that side of the forum, tho; so I don't know what the status of the example suite is...

ST
edit: looks like nobody has made any claims on content...
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

I think my crypt is decent enough to serve as a placeholder for the Example Suite. It doesn't depend on anything from Bethesda.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Meaning that you a fresh-install of OpenMW can be pointed to your Crypt esm and off we go without installing or pointing to Morrowind?

We should rethink forcing the import of Morrowind, I know that is the goal of the project... but at some point it will not be the only game that can be used with the OpenMW engine. Right Zini? :)