Getting OpenMW into Debian and Ubuntu.

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

Re: Getting OpenMW into Debian and Ubuntu.

Post by Zini »

We are not forcing the import of MW in any way. Not sure why you would think we do that (or plan to do that).
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Zini wrote:We are not forcing the import of MW in any way. Not sure why you would think we do that (or plan to do that).
Then why are we forced to run the Morrowind.ini importer before being able to run OpenMW? If we do not do that... OpenMW dies a horrible death.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

OpenMW dies a horrible death when using Morrowind.esm and failing to import the settings. I think we should be good with my crypt, but I really can't tell. Maybe Greendogo can shed some light on that, since he got the crypt working with newer versions of OpenMW.

EDIT: Oh and:
BrotherBrick wrote:Meaning that you a fresh-install of OpenMW can be pointed to your Crypt esm and off we go without installing or pointing to Morrowind?
Yes, provided Greendogo can manage to get it to run with the current version of OpenMW. I made the crypt when we were at 0.8 or 0.12 or so.
Zini

Post by Zini »

The esm file format is not complete. There are some information stored in the ini file, that are absolutely needed to run an esm file. Any non-MW-content would have to distribute its own copy of Morrowind.ini. At least for now. We will start to move these information into the .omwgame/.omwaddon format after 1.0. Content files created with newer versions of the OpenCS (maybe 1.1 or .1.2) will work without an ini-import.

Edit: When a wrote "copy of Morrowind.ini", I meant its own version. Just copying the file would be a copyright violation.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

What I'm reading leads me to believe that getting OpenMW into Main of Debian will be at best post 1.0 for the time being? It is highly recommended for OpenMW (in Main) to be playable "out-of-the-box" with Free content.

OpenMW, as it is now, can live in Contrib in Debian which would get us 'in' to the system. Zini, are you comfortable with the current state of OpenMW now or do you still want to wait until later?
Zini

Post by Zini »

My original thought was to wait until 1.0 (fully playable game) or even 1.1/1.2 (getting rid of crap like Morrowind.ini and the resources handling mess).

But getting started early isn't a bad idea. As long as we can do it in a way that doesn't result in bad PR because of the not fully functional state of OpenMW, I don't have a problem with going for it now.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Are we still using the Daedric font or something else? The Debian folks noted that the font is non-free. What exactly are we using now that is GPLv3 compatible?
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

They are also wondering if we could depend on their font packages, that we we do not not need to ship our own ttfs. Are we doing that now, as in are we searching the system for fonts? If we are, we can do a bit of package magic to not include the fonts and force an external depend on debian's font package.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I've talked with debian folks and with MyGUI dev George Evmenov to hammer things out.

For inclusion into Debian:

1) Non-free (FLOSS) content that is shipped currently needs to be replaced. This includes the obliviontt.zip (daedric font).

2) We should be depending more on debian font packages instead of shipping the fonts. Qt allows for using system-fonts, so we should take advantage of that. DejaVu is already in Debian and EB Garmond is ready for but not yet in Debian.

3) More to come... ;)

What do you guys think?
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

1) I've e-mailed the author of EB Garamond, asking if he's able and willing to recreate the Daedric font for us.

2) The launcher currently looks for EB Garamond in the list of installed fonts before resorting to the font we ship in the resources directory. That means having the OpenMW package depend on EB Garamond once it's included is enough for the launcher to work.