OpenMW 0.24.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Zini

OpenMW 0.24.0

Post by Zini »

The roadmap for 0.24.0 consists of the leftovers from 0.23.0 (with some minor additions). We are definitely running out of OpenMW feature tasks, which can only be a good thing.

There are a few important points I want to highlight:

* Render Weapon and Shield
* Animation Layering (apparently a prerequisite for the above)

This is a key task for several features: Melee combat (obviously), ranged combat and also (to some degree) the security skill. But the implementation will also be useful for spellcasting. it is absolutely crucial that we get this sorted out as quickly as possible.

* Atlethics Skill
* Acrobatics Skill

This are on the current roadmap since we changed trackers. And before that I was begging people for about a year to do something about it. With no success at all. To this day the research hasn't come to a useful conclusion. If this trend is going to continue and we will have to delay the release of 1.0 because these features are incomplete, I will scream. Loudly.

As usual there are still a lot of bugs to fix, even though we fixed tons of bugs in 0.23.0. I hope this trend continues.

And then there are dozens of editor tasks. They are almost in the majority among feature tasks now. I think we will need at least one person more on the editor.

Overall things look good. 0.23.0 is a lot smaller than 0.22.0, but at least based on the number of issues still the second largest release in the history of OpenMW. Let's make sure 0.24.0 will be in the same category. A continuation of the monthly releases looks more than likely, so about 3 weeks for the actual development work.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW 0.24.0

Post by psi29a »

How are we doing on the playability side, can we complete the main quest line and get to 'the end'?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Not sure. I think no one checked that for a while.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Zini wrote:Not sure. I think no one checked that for a while.
It should be checked... anyone?

Because that would be a PR win, not that we are feature complete, but that we make it through the 'happy path without scripting and hacks.'. :)
Chris

Post by Chris »

We can't take out the Heart (to destroy Akulakhan), that's for sure. That needs melee combat and some related script functions. I don't think the script for the Moon-and-Star ring works (it uses Rotate), which would prevent that segment of the game from progressing properly. I'm not sure exactly where the MQ would break and need the console (excepting for TCL'ing through non-load doors), but I know we can't complete it.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Once we can finish the game without the console, that's when we'll really be in a good spot, PR-wise. Though, it would mean even more when NPCs have proper AI and can fight you.

Also, woo-hoo, go team! You guys are doing a bang-up job!
Glorfdev

Post by Glorfdev »

There're lots og things that use Rotate in main quest: Arkngthand doors, Dagoth ur doors, moon-and-star...
I'm stuck with that for a moment, but I'm pretty sure it will be ready for 0.24.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Forgot to mentioned one issue in the original posting: Implement NIF record NiFlipController

Doesn't seem too common in MW (maybe not used at all). In Redemption it is very common though. Half of the newer models don't render because of this issue.

Obviously not a high priority task. But it would be nice to have, particularly since the development over at the Redemption project is heating up again. I don't know if there are NIFs out there in the wild that make use of this feature. If someone wants to take up this task and can't find any, I can ask our 3D modeller to provide a sample model.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Zini wrote:In Redemption it is very common though. Half of the newer models don't render because of this issue.
. But it would be nice to have, particularly since the development over at the Redemption project is heating up again.
Can you or someone there actually make a video to demo what you are working on? In Morrowind and OpenMW to show perhaps some before and after shots. :) I would love to see a TC.

Is Redemption a full TC or does it rely on Morrowind.esm ?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Very outdated, but: http://cfkasper.de/ultima/video.php

We don't have any other video material available currently.

Here are some screenshots though (still in vanilla MW): http://cfkasper.de/ultima/board/thread. ... eadid=1724
Is Redemption a full TC or does it rely on Morrowind.esm ?
Redemption is a full TC, but requires some of the original models from Morrowind (heavily re-textured).