OpenMW 0.24.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW 0.24.0

Post by psi29a »

How many and how long would it take to re-create the models? That way it could be shipped along with OpenMW as an additional package or a 'game' ready made? Or was this the goal all along? ;)
Zini

Post by Zini »

A substantial amount of time. And we are not planning to do that. Would turn Redemption effectively into a standalone game, which makes it a much bigger target in regard to copyright issues.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Zini wrote:Forgot to mentioned one issue in the original posting: Implement NIF record NiFlipController
Recognizing the record will be simple enough. There are some minor issues with using material-based controllers at the moment, though (we need to be able to clone materials and only keep them around for the lifetime of the object they're needed for), but I can probably get that worked out with scrawl. After that, it should be fairly easy to implement.

Having a small mod/test case that uses it would be handy.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Discussion about NIFs should continue here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1499
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

I'm going to be unavailable for making videos from around May 19th - 25th. I have a nasty suspicion that's right when we will have a release.
raevol

Post by raevol »

WeirdSexy wrote:I'm going to be unavailable for making videos from around May 19th - 25th. I have a nasty suspicion that's right when we will have a release.
Maybe we can do an extended testing phase for this release while you are gone. :) So we can avoid the memory leak mess we had with the last release?
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I think it is still there... scrawl? It only effects 32-bit builds and seems to either be a problem with 1.53 boost or our own version of 'wave' being used causing non-deterministic behavior.
rab

Post by rab »

raevol wrote:
WeirdSexy wrote:I'm going to be unavailable for making videos from around May 19th - 25th. I have a nasty suspicion that's right when we will have a release.
Maybe we can do an extended testing phase for this release while you are gone. :) So we can avoid the memory leak mess we had with the last release?
I'd settle for being able to run the game at all - I'd love to try out a recent version, but it simply doesn't start: https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/756
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Isn't it about time that the default 'openmw' call (as through the launcher) the same as --new-game argument. This throws many people for a loop. We should change remove --new-game all together at this point I think. We could through in --dev or just use the --start to go to Beshara instead of starting a new game.

What are your thoughts?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I'll just list some pros and cons of doing that at this point.

Pros:
Starting where most people familiar with the game would expect
Easier to start a new game, without going through the console
Startup scripts would always be in effect
Would finally be starting on solid ground with collision turned on

Cons:
Longer startups
Must go through the introduction every time you want to test a feature

Once Saving and Loading are introduced, it would be easier to mitigate the cons, since you could just go through the intro once and save the game. And of course many things could be tested on the prison ship, anyways.