More videos

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Chris

Re: More videos

Post by Chris »

sirherrbatka wrote:Turtorials is a very good idea, but isn't it to early?
For OpenCS, probably. But it's just something to keep in mind.
Also, who will make this videos?
Anyone capable. I've been playing around with glc lately to play around with capturing game footage in Linux, and I'm actually quite impressed with the performance (though not so much the disk space usage... a bit more than 300MB for 30 seconds of 720p video; doubt I could get more than a couple minutes at a time before I have to stop and encode them). I can't do voice overs, but I don't think we need them for every video. It's just to showcase extra little bits that don't necessarily have a place in the release videos.
TorbenC

Post by TorbenC »

If WeirdSexy has the time, more videos would indeed help you guys spread the word.

The blog on the other hand, the only reason I see it as being less effective when driving traffic is simply because it isn't SEO'd nor is it posted on often enough. I heard plans for posting once a week, I don't know if that'll actually happen but if it does it would certainly help.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

I'd like to make a video (at some point) called something like "OpenMW graphical enhancements".
to show:
  • OpenMW graphical "improvements"/differences from vanilla (some people aren't aware of shadows and water effects since I don't always show them in the release videos)
  • OpenMW graphics options (water shaders off, just reflection, just refraction, all water shaders, etc)
  • Show performance hit with various current graphics options
    • To demonstrate why I don't currently turn everything on in release videos (mention that I have somewhat outdated hardware)
    • Give an idea of to what degree OpenMW might be optimized in the future (if it will run faster at v1.0 or beyond)
    • Give an idea of how much OpenMW might use more of the GPU than vanilla Morrowind
When would it be appropriate to make such a video? Anything else I should show/mention in it? Any future graphical stuff planned for the future (besides the "water effects" currently on the issue tracker)?

Also, if the rest of you deem such a video to be a good idea, I'll need some input on the points listed (how much OpenMW can likely be optimized for performance, etc).

Thanks.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I think we should wait for 1.1 aka "scrawl finally can do what he always wanted" ;-)
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I agree with Sirherrbatka. At this very moment, it seems like there is some bump mapping (bump texture he calls it) code going through the pipeline.

So waiting at least until 1.0 or 1.1 would be a good idea.

On the other hand, you could always do an early look at the graphical possibilities of the engine. You could load up on graphics mods and do a tour of how they work on OpenMW so far (like pointing out that billboards still aren't supported).