OpenMW 0.23.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
raevol

Re: OpenMW 0.23.0

Post by raevol »

Heyyyy I think I am going to wait to do the release until after the planned downtime? That ok with everyone?
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

WeirdSexy wrote:http://youtu.be/aDuLCpltgoM

raevol, your last post made me lol.

Thanks HiPhish and Chris for looking at the script.
Wow, absolutely awesome. :)
You basically can't tell this isn't Morrowind any more.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

This looks absolutely beautiful! When I first found out about the project there wasn't even terrain being rendered, it was more like Morrwind Static Flight Simulator, let alone animations, skills, collision, physics, AI... I played Morrowind the first time about a year and a half ago, when Skyrim was about to be released. I played in Wine since and while it worked it wasn't really that great of an experience, in part due to Wine and in part due to Morrowind's engine itself. Sure, it was playable, but after seeing what source ports can do for old games such as Duke Nukem 3D or Arx Fatalis I really whished there was something similar for Morrowind.

Then one day, I don't really know how, I can across this site. My first reaction was "this will be stuck in pre-alpha forever like all those other reverse engineering projects", but I'm glad I was proven wrong. This is in big part due to Zini's project management, he will not hersitate to give the axe to anything that might detract from th main goal of version 1.0. The PR team has given this project the polish to look lik a project with an actul promise instead of some guys tinkering in their basements, and have done a great job of raising awareness about OpenMW and attracting developers. And finally the developers, who are the hart of OpenMW, keep working on it persistently.

Game engines age like all technology, but source ports can breath in new life into old games. Early console games tend to age much better due to their simplicity and emulators are good enough for running them, but for PC games that's not always enough. Even if you can run it in an emulator like DOSBox you still suffer from technical limitations of the time. Just compare Descent in DOSBox to Descent in the DXX-Rebirth engine! Personally I whish all PC games could be made open source, but I know tha's impossible with all the 3rd party tools being used in game development.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the release of version 1.0, so keep up the great work. (whether I will actually be able to run it properly is another question though)
WeirdSexy wrote:Thanks HiPhish and Chris for looking at the script.
Oh great, and I haven't even finished the FAQ video yet :(
Zini

Post by Zini »

Great video, once more!
raevol

Post by raevol »

Alright! We're released!
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

raevol wrote:Alright! We're released!
Might want to add the video link to the release announcement.
raevol

Post by raevol »

WeirdSexy wrote:
Hmm, it's there. If I missed it and someone else got it on there, sorry and thanks!
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

raevol wrote:
WeirdSexy wrote:
Hmm, it's there. If I missed it and someone else got it on there, sorry and thanks!
I've added it, no problem :)
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Great job on the release everybody!
vorenon

Post by vorenon »

Please change the date of the 0.23.0 post back to the 28th. It broke a link I posted in http://reddit.com/r/morrowind