OpenMW 0.22.0

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW 0.22.0

Post by psi29a »

maqifrnswa wrote:BrotherBrick: thanks for the ubuntu PPA work, I really just grab your code verbatim and build against Wheezy. Do you think you can enable the parallel building flag? For now I add it each upload.

Erm... be careful, I haven't announced them yet for a reason. :) I need to test them when they are ready, then I'll announce it here. Don't want you to go through the process with a crap build.

As for the other flags, I can add them... how cores does launchpad buildd have available to it? I normally compile with 8 cores here, but I leave it serial (1 core) on buildd because it helps when tracking down bugs.

I'll announce when they are finished.

We are dropping the Oneiric builds because ffmpeg is so old there that our code does not work and this month is the last month that it is officially supported. I am however adding raring builds since it is almost released in a few days.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

sirherrbatka wrote:Greendogo, you have 666 posts.
:twisted: *cue evil music*

@WeirdSexy: I'm pretty sure anti-aliasing has worked before. I think it's the only way I could stop the stuttering problem (bug #416) from affecting me.

By the way, did you ever get a good location to show off from the guys over at TR?
maqifrnswa

Post by maqifrnswa »

BrotherBrick wrote: Erm... be careful, I haven't announced them yet for a reason. :) I need to test them when they are ready, then I'll announce it here. Don't want you to go through the process with a crap build.
Got it
As for the other flags, I can add them... how cores does launchpad buildd have available to it? I normally compile with 8 cores here, but I leave it serial (1 core) on buildd because it helps when tracking down bugs.
Each machine is configured differently, and they change over time. You just need to enable the flag "--parallel", the machine configuration will tell it how many threads to use (the environemetal variable DEB_BUILD_OPTS). If you don't want to do it because it's easier to debug without --parallel, then don't worry about it - I can keep on enabling it if I need to.
corristo

Post by corristo »

psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

The packages are built, but I can not test openmw because I get a "ERROR: bad lexical case: source type value could not be interpreted as target".

update: tested and it works... builds on PPA are gold. Creating raring when I get a chance.

Please note that we should put a big fat warning on the ini importer not to press the INGORE button because openmw will not run and die with the error above. This might be a source of a few bug reports in the future after we release.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Shouldn't there be default settings already when you DL OpenMW? I assumed the INI Importer was only really going to be used if you had a heavily modified INI file from Vanilla.

Anyway, I don't think it's a good idea to let the game crash if you choose "Ignore".
Zini

Post by Zini »

Please note that we should put a big fat warning on the ini importer not to press the INGORE button because openmw will not run and die with the error above. This might be a source of a few bug reports in the future after we release.
There is such a warning message on the import dialogue.
Shouldn't there be default settings already when you DL OpenMW? I assumed the INI Importer was only really going to be used if you had a heavily modified INI file from Vanilla.
Nope. That is not reasonable. We can not simply copy the content of the default INI file into the OpenMW source code. I know we did that in the past for some parts, but technically that could be seen as a copyright violation (even though a very minor one). We can not distribute any content from the original game with OpenMW. That includes the ini file and its content.
Anyway, I don't think it's a good idea to let the game crash if you choose "Ignore".
As I mentioned to the guy working on the fallback stuff, it might be a good idea to add minimal default values. With these OpenMW would look very odd, but would not crash. There was no interested in this feature though. If someone else wants to do it, be my guest.

Also, please note that these crashes only happen with legacy and early OpenMW version content. Newer content (made with the CS around OpenMW 1.2 or 1.3) should work without importing.
Osidian

Post by Osidian »

Just visited Necrom in OpenMW :D
Keep up the great work guys!
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Video will be live at: http://youtu.be/a-i73Qb3KKw

I think openmw might have a gigantic memory leak, but I haven't done proper testing. When I start it up my computer might be using 35% of its 4Gbs of RAM. After an hour or so, I'd be using 95%. I don't know if it has anything to do with loading multiple ESMs/ESPs or not. Also coc'ing to cells seems to increase memory consumption each time it is called ... sometimes.

EDIT: Launcher did not make it into the video. I had trouble recording it.
Last edited by WeirdSexy on 24 Mar 2013, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
bwrsandman

Post by bwrsandman »

Vanity cam on top of Vivec's head made me lose it. :lol:
Excellent commentary, as always!