OpenMW's awareness project.

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
Kingpix

Re: OpenMW's awareness project.

Post by Kingpix »

Just let me know when and if you want me to post some news on the Overhaul's website, I'll do it for sure.
Can't wait to make an OpenMW Overhaul. :P

As always, keep up the good work.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Kingpix wrote:Just let me know when and if you want me to post some news on the Overhaul's website, I'll do it for sure.
Can't wait to make an OpenMW Overhaul. :P

As always, keep up the good work.
Except it wont really be an overhaul as everything will be new. It would be more like a OpenMW Morrowind Overhaul. Which could literally be OpenMorrowind Morrowind, although we dont use that name, just OpeMW.
cookiemonster16

Post by cookiemonster16 »

I think the best way to attract people, would be to put something in the video that isn't possible to do in any of the Elder Scroll games.(I hope you understand what I am implying)
Unforchantly I have no idea what to do.
cookiemonster16

Post by cookiemonster16 »

Most videos that show off an engine usually show
1. Graphics: shadows, water, realistic people(which Morrowind doesn't have :lol:)
2. Physics: destruction, car physics and all of that fun stuff
3. AI: Realistic
4. Easy: How easy it is to work with this engine.

Unforchantly OpenMW doesn't do any of this yet.
I got one idea of something you could do, but it may require work on stuff not need for version 1.0.
In Skyrim's E3 Demo, Todd Howard said Skyrim has dynamic snow(Skyrim has horrible snow).
Skyrim modder's aren't even able to add dynamic snow and I bet Morrowind's modding community and help with texture model and what ever is need.
Also I guarantee someone is going to try and implement this after version 1.0
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

Well, the water is certainly something that will be shown again :). But the stronger points are not to be found in-game, everybody (interested) knows morrowind. And for v1.0 we won't have anything new to show really, although I hope that we will be able to release a promotional video for v1.0 with a fully functioning editor in which we can attract modders to work with it. If I'm not mistaken we will only be able to interest a wider area of players once we come with features never seen on morrowind/oblivion/skyrim, that are being used in the example suite, Morrowind itself and fan mods.
So, as with Morrowind overhaul, once we get to OpenMW V3, we will be known :).
raevol

Post by raevol »

Just make a video of downloading the source from github. :D
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Just make a video of downloading the source from github.
Will work if you find girl in bikini to explain things. Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nbr_OLqTOo
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

sirherrbatka wrote:
Just make a video of downloading the source from github.
Will work if you find girl in bikini to explain things. Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nbr_OLqTOo

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
How do you find these things? she seems to understand win95 like no other.
foozer

Post by foozer »

Zini wrote:modability (is that even a word?)
I believe the appropriate term is "modifiability". ;)
raevol wrote:I think a 1080p video of someone launching OpenMW in Ubuntu and then playing with full functionality for a bit would make me squeal. :D
It is an impressive achievement to say the least, however, I feel that appreciation for "Morrowind on Linux" applies only to a very niche audience.

Perhaps it is a better idea to wait a while, although arguably it could do no harm; it would serve as a decent warmer-up.
raevol

Post by raevol »

foozer wrote:I feel that appreciation for "Morrowind on Linux" applies only to a very niche audience.
A very niche audience, but exactly the audience we want to capture. Those are going to be the people that contribute code and mods and push OpenMW forward into something that laypeoples will drool over.