OpenMW Steam Group

Anything related to PR, release planning and any other non-technical idea how to move the project forward should be discussed here.
WeirdSexy

OpenMW Steam Group

Post by WeirdSexy »

How would you guys feel about an OpenMW Steam group?
After all, if OpenMW encourages new people to purchase a copy of Morrowind, that's one of the only places they could do it.
I'd pledge to serve as its administrator, post release announcements and such to it, answer questions that people ask there, etc.

Just a thought, there's alot of Skyrim fans on steam (in fact, almost all of them :D). I think people seeing an Elder Scrolls related group in their friends group list could lead to more people finding out about the project.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW Steam Group

Post by psi29a »

Steam is coming to linux... so I see myself even running the client.

OK, joined...
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

They also just did Greenlight. So in the future that could be done.
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Ok, well here it is http://steamcommunity.com/groups/openmw
Those of you who have Steam, join up. We can mention the group with the next release announcement to get the membership up.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

That's a terrific idea. There are millions of people who are playing/own Skyrim and some of those people must have skills that would be useful to OpenMW. I've been wanting to raise awareness amongst the Skyrim community.
mate

Post by mate »

I was thinking, do you think greenlight would be a possibility for OpenMW in the future? Would be great.
Necrod

Post by Necrod »

mate wrote:I was thinking, do you think greenlight would be a possibility for OpenMW in the future? Would be great.
Don't know how possible that is, knowing OpenMW is "just" an engine.. It would be mind blowing though, buying Morrowind over steam, and then choosing in-steam if you want to download&install regular Morrowind or Morrowind with OpenMW
But there's like no chance at all for that to happen
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Necrod wrote:
mate wrote:I was thinking, do you think greenlight would be a possibility for OpenMW in the future? Would be great.
Don't know how possible that is, knowing OpenMW is "just" an engine.. It would be mind blowing though, buying Morrowind over steam, and then choosing in-steam if you want to download&install regular Morrowind or Morrowind with OpenMW
Wait, why would there be no chance?
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

Tarius wrote:
Necrod wrote:
Wait, why would there be no chance?
Well, for one thing, Greenlight is for games, not for software that works with games that are already on Steam. Greenlight doesn't really figure into this equation. What we are really discussing is the possibility for Steam/Valve and Bethesda to allow an option on the Morrowind Steam store page to download and install OpenMW in a someone integrated manner with a Steam version of Morrowind (Integrated as in *click regular Morrowind icon, not a custom created shortcut, in Steam library* *Option comes up: ()play using original engine; ()play using OpenMW; []remember this choice*). How likely is this scenario? I say almost no chance as, at some point, it would require someone from one or both of the aforementioned companies to do some work that they would not be likely to see any financial return from. I'm not saying anything bad about either of those companies or that it would be impossible to persuade them, but you guys know how these things go.
raevol

Post by raevol »

I think having that option in Steam would just be confusing for the user anyway. It's better to keep our project separate, especially once we get to the point where the engine has a ton of new and optional features.