is it possible to adapt openmw for fallout. 3?

General discussion regarding the OpenMW project.
For technical support, please use the Support subforum.
ilovefallout

is it possible to adapt openmw for fallout. 3?

Post by ilovefallout »

is it possible? i mean technically.
sirherrbatka

Re: is it possible to adapt openmw for fallout. 3?

Post by sirherrbatka »

You would need support for fallout GUI, newer nif, physics, scripts... I would say that you would have to start almost from scratch...
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

OpenMW is, of course, primarily for playing Morrowind. But my understanding is that (for post-1.0 more than anything?) the actual bits of the engine that are Morrowind-specific could be (relatively) easily replaced. Not saying it'd make this guy's pipe-dream any easier (for all the reasons sirherrbatka mentions), but in theory you could adapt OpenMW for another game.

But hey, if you're going to do Fallout 3/New Vegas you may as well start with Oblivion, seeing as FO3/NV used a version of the Oblivion iteration...
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Sslaxx wrote:OpenMW is, of course, primarily for playing Morrowind. But my understanding is that (for post-1.0 more than anything?) the actual bits of the engine that are Morrowind-specific could be (relatively) easily replaced. Not saying it'd make this guy's pipe-dream any easier (for all the reasons sirherrbatka mentions), but in theory you could adapt OpenMW for another game.

But hey, if you're going to do Fallout 3/New Vegas you may as well start with Oblivion, seeing as FO3/NV used a version of the Oblivion iteration...
Since it is open source, this is indeed true.

In fact, I can see OpenMW becoming the default game engine for alot of otherstuff.(minus multiplayer, but if someone can get that to work, for almost anything; I dont really mean existing games though, trying to get things like animations and such to work would be a pain; I could be wrong, I am notreally one to keep up with opensource game engines) All the hard stuff will have been completed and it wont be too hard for any person that has any experience with coding to change things to work some otherway.
In regards to working with current games, it will almost entirely depend on how easy it is to change/replace model rendering code and the animation system. Other things are much less of a task I think.

Overall, hard, but no where near impossible with a concerted effort.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

This has been tacietly talked about on IRC and the general feeling is that it is possible but there are some things to think about.

1) OpenMW is the equivalent from the gamebryo engine which is used by Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and other games. This is not 100% correct but it comes close. Each iterration uses an updated version of Gamebryo so it stands to reason that you would need to fork a mature OpenMW to add the features necessary.

2) While the opensource NIF library is mature for Morrowind, it is still immature/early for Oblivion and not all features are there. There would need more development of this library before you could even attempt to do "OpenOblivion'. Even more work is necessary for Fallout3 and Skyrim.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/niftools/
http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/

3) Leave multiplayer out, for now.

4) You'll need to throw out all formulas used by OpenMW as they are not reused in other games. Trying to emulate the formulas should be a high priority because they effect the gameplay so much. What is the use of rendering the game if there is nothing to 'play'.

Conclusion: If anything, Oblivion should be tackled first before Fallout3 because of the iterative nature of the game engine and successive features. Using OpenMW as a base can catalyze development and it is not necessary to throw out everything.
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

Turning OpenMW into, essentially, an open-source full Gamebryo clone could be... an interesting idea. But I'd imagine that possible though it is, if it's ever given serious thought it wouldn't be until well after 1.0 is released (not least because it'd cause serious drift from what this project's goals are).